Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hello from New Hampshire

Default Hello from New Hampshire

Hi,

I'm Chris from New Hampshire, and I'm trying to make enough posts to get out of "new user jail".

I am not a spam bot, thank goodness.

My background ... I've been a developer and systems engineer for a long time. I started on an original IBM 5150 when I was a just a kid. I was fortunate enough that my parents worked for computer companies and I had access to this stuff before most other kids my age.

Anyway, now I'm older ... I have a collection of vintage 8088 machines that I enjoy working on. I only recently discovered this forum, but I'm happy to join and hopefully I can contribute a little wisdom here as well.

PS, I'm not a spam bot.

Blog Entries

Hey listen, to participate on a forum like this you have to be a spam bot at heart . Basically we should all just have numbers as screen names.

Welcome. Spam away!

Where in NH? I'm in Amherst...

- Gary

I'm in Thornton, but originally from the great north country. I also have a camp near Amherst in Greenfield.

(Also... yay, I'm finally out of new user jail! I replied to this threat earlier, but I think that post is still awaiting mod approval. It still might show up sometime)

Blog Entries

I'm in New Jersey, and though I wasn't born here, your iq tends to bottom out on account of just living here for too long, so bear with an idiot. When you say "great North country", do you mean the White Mountains? Maybe there's only 1 White Mountain, not really sure. Apologies if necessary.

Now here's the real stupid question, isn't there a lot of crazy folk up there? I did meet a couple from up that way recently, seemed pretty normal. But the meeting was brief ...

The term "north country" ... New Hampshire's economy is heavily based on tourism, and the state describes itself in tourism regions. We have the "seacost region", the "monadnock region" and many others. The northern most part of NH, mostly in Coos county, is known officially as the "great north woods" region. The great north woods is the area between the northern side of the White Mountains and the Canadian border. The term "great north woods" is a modern name however. Folks who grew up here, especially in Coos county, refer to the area as "the north country". It's the local way of saying "great north woods". The "north country" is typically anything north of Franconia Notch.

As for the crazy folk, I don't think there are any more crazy people here than you might find anywhere else. I think that cultures are different, so someone from New Jersey might think we're a little crazy, just like we might think people from New Jersey are a little crazy. This is true everywhere though... just cultural differences I think. Rural folk vs city folk, etc.

Hey, we do have computers and internet up here though. I just signed up for my AOL dial-up last week haha j/k

Blog Entries

Ok, no offense meant, and thanks for the explanation. I'm looking to get out, and, oh boy here I go again, if it wasn't for the influx of peeps from you know where, shhh, I do know some good people from there on this list, it would rate high on my list, and still does regardless.

There are like loads of guns in NH, which to me is a mixed blessing of sorts. I just looked into that incident on the order of 15 years ago, terrible business, cop and shooter were shot. And that's not even the "crazy" part, as bad as it was. It was the 2nd shooter, seen on video threatening someone, as he knew what route they took to and from work. I can't remember the names, but I know you know what I'm talking about.

NH and Maine are both real possibilities. Unfortunately the rest of the northeast definitely isn't.

Are you referring to the Drega incident in Colebrook (northern NH)? It was a true tragedy, and it is just a reminder that bad things can happen, even in rural areas. I really like southwestern NH, aka "monadnock region". It is close to cities, yet far enough to enjoy nature too and offers a good general quality of life. Lots of folks in southern NH commute to Boston and other areas in MA. Northern NH is a little further removed from population centers, but some folks like that sort of lifestyle.

Blog Entries

Rereading your post I realized it was in Franconia. The cops name was McKay, shot in the back and run over. A passerby, Gregory Floyd, shot the shooter. He could be viewed as a hero, but he had a checkered backround, and there is a video of him threatening someone, inside a state building iinm. I'd have to dig it up. All 3 of the people had questionable backgrounds. The guy who told me the story initially, many years ago at an MIT Flea, totally had all his facts wrong. So much so it couldn't have been just honest mistakes. I'm wary of cops myself, have a retired dick-head in the family, and McKay was a screwball. But I kind of doubt he deserved what he got.

So I'm sure the people from those parts overwhelmingly are upstanding human beings. But you hear or run into a few nudnix and we'll it makes you wonder.

Hmm, wow. I had not heard of that one.