Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Car Computer (Mobile Data Terminal 9100)

Blog Entries

Default Motorola Car Computer (Mobile Data Terminal 9100)

Me and a friend have been looking for one of these for a while. Cryptomuseum has a page covering their various configurations.
    Basically, if you want it all, you need to find one of the 9100-386 units which contain the full 386 PC, the PCMCIA slots AND two internal 30 pin SIMM slots to add more ram. They don't show up often but aside from novelty they are not super desireable for anything either, so they usually sell on ebay for between $50 and $200, depending on the seller and condition.

I came across mine a few weeks ago as a REALLY nasty looking thing that was being sold in Arizona. The cost was not...too bad but I took a gamble that this machine would be nasty by looks alone. Aside from an underwhelming packing job it was otherwise intact.

It ended up needing to be completely stripped down to be washed and repaired. As nasty as it looks, the rain didn't make its way inside. Once reassembled though it took 12v 1.5A no problem and booted up as seen by Trammell Hudson. The tube's a bit tired and VERY burned in, but hey aside from a weirdly clicking speaker it's working alright! One thing I was not able to fix however was the tinted lens over the CRT. The original piece of plastic was badly gouged and scratched up. For now I'm using some automotive tinting but it's really not as good as a proper piece of plastic.

The goal is to stuff it in the car and give it a purpose. I know I have LXgps and GPScga hidden away on the server somewhere but pretty much I'd love to see what else I can find for GPS compatible mapping software for Windows 3/DOS. I have a few newer programs like Sony SkyMap and MapQuest but they require slightly more demanding machines. Beyond maxing this out with 12mb ram and CF cards in the PCMCIA slots I'm limited to the 25mhz Am386SX. That SCSI port though....what on EARTH could I put into the dash of a car that would need that besides Magneto Optical?
    = Excellent space heater

I absolutely love this thing! Thanks for all the pictures! Really good find... Tell us how much you paid, come on..

Blog Entries

$75USD via BIN and another $80USD USPS, plus $22CAD for border fees......
    = Excellent space heater

Very cool! I've always been very intrigued by these things. Please do post more pics when you get some software running on it!

Love that you are actually going to put it in your car too!

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

What kind of car will you be putting it in?
    A big ol ford ltd? Or something like that?
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

It does need a 70's/80's car to house it. Or something similar to the era like a Wrangler.

You can make a mold with the old screen as a template, maybe from plaster of Paris. Get a piece of tinted plexiglass. Put some holes in the mold and make a way to seal it. Heat the plexiglass slowly with a heat gun and pull it down with a vacuum pump.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Put it in a 1970s Dodge Monaco.
    Then you can say it's got SCMODS..........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    What kind of car will you be putting it in?
    A big ol ford ltd? Or something like that?
    '82 AMC Eagle. It's fitting enough as for a period they were used as Highway Patrol vehicles, but I have no intention of converting this into "another former police car" like the wanna-be's with surplus Enforcer's do.

I lack Air Conditioning and the lower tray package, so there should be Juuust enough space behind the shifter for it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Put it in a 1970s Dodge Monaco.
    Then you can say it's got SCMODS..........
    It's funny you mention that, because the Ebay listing I got this from listed "Blues Brothers" in the description, even though the MDT from the movie is the earlier Motorola D-1118, which the 9100 replaced.
    Last edited by NeXT; March 5th, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Beyond maxing this out with 12mb ram and CF cards in the PCMCIA slots I'm limited to the 25mhz Am386SX. That SCSI port though....what on EARTH could I put into the dash of a car that would need that besides Magneto Optical?
    How about a small scanner?