Image Map Image Map

Thread: AMD 486 dx4 100Mhz thoughts

Default AMD 486 dx4 100Mhz thoughts

Following my reddit post on my "new" AMD 486 dx4-100 that ended up getting lots of reactions, I decided to do a video on this computer.

I want to go over its gorgeous mini tower case, the components and the AMD DX4 100Mhz cpu on my youtube channel

I've done some research on the AMD DX4-100, but never owned one myself back in the day. I was wondering if anybody here had some thoughts / anekdotes or other cool facts / figures on this CPU.

What I'm currently thinking of covering :

• Very fast 486 cpu, perhaps a bit slower than intel 486 dx4 100 depending on the L1 cache size, but a lot cheaper
    • Came in a time period were the shift to pentium based PCs was very much ongoing
    • 8kb internal cache vs the 16kb cache in the intel based cpu, later revisions featured 16kb cache
    • 3v cpu, so don't put it in a 5v based system
    • Originally released in 1994, but revised in 1995 following an intel lawsuit. (ICE microcode)
    • Could compete to some degree with the early pentiums
    • AMD's DX4-100 being cheaper than Intel's DX2-66 (49$ vs 59$ in sep 1996)
    • ICE lawsuit with intel
    • earlier (700 nm) models operating at 5V, around late 1994/95 entered 500nm and introduced 3.3V models
    • different cache options at a later stage (write back / 16kb L1 cache)
    • Windows logo on the die to highlight the windows compatibility over general x86 compatability.

Thanks a lot....

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    [*]Could compete to some degree with the early pentiums
    Hardly...
    Am5x86 @ 133 MHz was supposed to be equivalent to Pentium 75, in fixed-point instructions.
    So, DX4-100 can probably compete with Pentium 60, but again - only in fixed-point, it's sure to be slower in floating-point.
    Poor floating-point performance became painful when MP3s appeared...

BTW: I'm wondering why DX4 is called DX4, and not DX3 - after all, its core/FSB frequency ratio is 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    BTW: I'm wondering why DX4 is called DX4, and not DX3 - after all, its core/FSB frequency ratio is 3.
    There was a legal issue over trademarks with AMD that caused that naming scheme.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Please back up the claim that there was a 5V .7 micron DX4 from AMD. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. I suspect if it exists, it's only an ES. I know for a fact that the latest models were .35 micron. Intel used .6 micron for their own DX4, so you're possibly right that AMD's earlier version was .7 micron, but I am pretty sure it was still 3.3v.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Is that the original AMD 486DX4 or the Enhanced 486DX4?

The original AMD 486DX4 had 8 kB of write-through cache, versus the 16 kB write-through cache in Intel's original 486DX4.

AMD then introduced the Enhanced 486DX4 with 8 kB of write-back cache, which was faster. Intel responded by changing their 16 kB cache to write-back as well, on their DX4 chips made beginning in October 1994 marked as "&EW".

AMD then played catch-up by increasing the Enhanced 486DX4's cache to 16 kB to match. (By then it was really just an Am5x86 chip without the 4X multiplier.)

I think I heard a rumour that the AMD DX4s with 16kb were really just rebadged DX5s. As far as I know, they're all 4X multiplier capable. In any case, these didn't show up until the 486 was horribly obsolete.

V'Ger XT

According to info on Vogons, the AMD Enhanced 486DX4 with 16 kB write-back cache (code SV16B) came out a year after the AMD 5x86. It seems very rare.

And then there's the OEM-only 90 MHz version of the AMD 486DX4:

http://www.x86-guide.com/en/cpu/AMD-...cpu-no871.html

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    Please back up the claim that there was a 5V .7 micron DX4 from AMD. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. I suspect if it exists, it's only an ES. I know for a fact that the latest models were .35 micron. Intel used .6 micron for their own DX4, so you're possibly right that AMD's earlier version was .7 micron, but I am pretty sure it was still 3.3v.
    I read on https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/am486 that "Earliest (700 nm) models operated at 5V, when AMD undergone a process shrink around late 1994/95 they introduced 3.3V models.", but I guess they are referring to the am486 in general and not the DX4 in particular. Thx for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    I read on https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/am486 that "Earliest (700 nm) models operated at 5V, when AMD undergone a process shrink around late 1994/95 they introduced 3.3V models.", but I guess they are referring to the am486 in general and not the DX4 in particular. Thx for pointing that out.
    According to that wikichip, the non-enhanced versions of DX4 should be .5 micron, which sounds about right to me. However, I don't know how much faith I'd put into the wikichip, because it lists this: "Am486DX2-100V16B"
    I am pretty sure there were not DX2-100s, and the only place I can find that references it is wikichip.

The DX4-90s were a real thing though. I even remember seeing a lot for sale in the paper, thinking it was some sort of typo. I *think* these chips were mainly produced for a special Compaq model, but I also know they sold them barebones on special 486 boards that could do a 30MHz bus.

V'Ger XT

Blog Entries

I think I seen that funky 90mhz 486 in a bin at a recyclers ages ago but I passed it up for some 133 overdrives that were actually useful (built in fan and jumpers for settings). I did pick up some socketed 486/sx chips plus some other goodies.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems