Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acquired a Tandy 3000NL got questions

Default Acquired a Tandy 3000NL got questions

So I managed to get a very worn Tandy 3000NL with VM1 Monitor.

I discovered very little information about this system, and aside from Specs and a few YouTube videos of pe4ople showing off their working version of it I was wondering if there was a deeper "watch out for ." informational video/document to read up on it to prevent "explosions" (I am from the Trs-80 Model 3 generation so PSU filter caps come to mind)

any suggestions appreciated here is my find.

Attached Images Attached Images

I'll be surprised if it works, with all that rust!

That VM-1 monitor is for the Tandy 2000 and is incompatible with any standard PC video format like CGA, MDA, EGA, etc. But someone who has a Tandy 2000 might be interested in it.

Blog Entries

Tandy sold cards that drive the VM-1. I have 2, 1 doesn't work particularly well though. He very well might have such or similar card already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Tandy sold cards that drive the VM-1. I have 2, 1 doesn't work particularly well though. He very well might have such or similar card already installed.
    The VM-1 and CM-1 accepted the same timing since they were driven from the same clocking circuit on the T2K. So I assume it came with the STB400 card that TRS sold under the 'Enhanced Color Graphics' adapter for the 1200 and other models. And the 3000 HL press release actually listed the VM-1 and CM-1 as the primary options for that model:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...ts/3khlrel.txt

-Alan
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Tandy also sold an actual EGA card and rebadged Samsung EGA monitor contemporary with the 3000s. The 3000s were featured in ads with both the CM-1/VM-1 as well as EGA monitors. Not sure about the 1200.

But the VM-1 has a DIN video connector, which would require a special adapter. And I don't see the STB-400 in it. It's much longer than that short 8-bit video card (looks like EGA or VGA) it has installed.

Blog Entries

My Deluxe Text Adapter, one of them, came with the necessary cable. Din on one end, d-sub on the other. There were different version of the STB card, iinm they varied in length. He may not have the right card though. I suspect though he may.

Well I am pickingit up today, so I shall all let you know about the video "issue" hell for all I know the monitor doesn't even work

The 3000NL is one of my favorite Tandy's! It's pretty much a no frills 10 Mhz 286 AT system. I added the 8MB memory card, Tandy 1MB SVGA card, IDE interface with a 1G DOM and a ethernet card with an EEPROM containing the XUB.

The only thing to watch out for is it's one of the Tandy's where they powered the floppy drive via the floppy cable.

Could certainly use a good sand-blasting, but the chassis is probably recoverable.
    Knowing Tandy, that 3.5" floppy drive is probably a Shugart. I've had luck replacing it on my 1000RSX with more a "modern" floppy by swapping pins 10 and 12 on the cable (assuming it's drive A). The trick will be finding one that has an eject carriage close enough to the original that you can keep the blue eject button.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.