Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay buyer protection

Blog Entries

Default eBay buyer protection

Someone lists a computer, seems to indicate they're aware of what's inside the box (no hard drive, replacement p/s, etc), but claims they're afraid to open it. If you receive it and find out it doesn't have the original Mobo for instance, can you claim you received an item not as described? There was dialog, in fact how I found out, as they claim, they haven't opened it and don't want to. Does that invalidate a claim? I'm not interested in anyone's opinion, want to hear from people who have actual experience with related problems.

Oh and the person even states which processor it has (the type but not the speed).

Yes. Anything in the listing photos or text can be grounds for SNAD (Significantly Not As Described). Saying "the box probably contains..." isn't a valid excuse. Veteran eBay sellers know that if they're unsure about something, they don't mention or show it at all.

Blog Entries

But that wasn't said. Simply the seller is specifying the model #/part # but doesn't specify what's in it, other then specifying the CPU (but not speed).

You have the right to return any Ebay item, sellers must comply.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

History shows that even if you couldn't do this legitimately, you could put a different computer in a box, run it over with your car, and claim that you received that from the seller, and demand a refund.

No I'm not advocating anyone do that; I think it's despicable. But it happens.

Blog Entries

And both of you have had an experience successfully getting a refund where it could be seen as going either way (hence the question)? There's a instance of negative feedback in the seller's profile that states the item was in unusable condition (a vintage item), and the seller's reply was "I offered a partial refund". That doesn't tell the entire story necessarily, but it seems to.

Has anyone had an issue where eBay didn't take your side as a buyer where, at least in your mind you were sent something you felt was questionable? I've sold hundreds of items, only had one instance where the buyer claimed I was totally at fault, eBay said it had to be returned, but the buyer opted out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    History shows that even if you couldn't do this legitimately, you could put a different computer in a box, run it over with your car, and claim that you received that from the seller, and demand a refund.

No I'm not advocating anyone do that; I think it's despicable. But it happens.
    It's not about damages. I feel the guy should open it, he gave a lame excuse for not wanting to, and could be lying. I'm not going to lie, in fact I'll explain to the guy I'll be unhappy if I don't receive what I think I'm getting. In other words read him the riot act, and say I'll open a dispute if there's a different mobo inside.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    It's not about damages. I feel the guy should open it, he gave a lame excuse for not wanting to, and could be lying. I'm not going to lie, in fact I'll explain to the guy I'll be unhappy if I don't receive what I think I'm getting. In other words read him the riot act, and say I'll open a dispute if there's a different mobo inside.
    My only point is that it's ridiculously easy to get a refund. eBay always sides with the buyer.

I've been blessed to only have situations where either the discrepancy wasn't worth the effort, or, the seller was very amicable.

If I were you, I'd deal with the seller as politely as possible. When it shows up wrong and he doesn't respond in a timely manner then I'd follow the eBay system and get a full refund.

Blog Entries

I had just messaged him. He says he's going to open it tomorrow and take photos. Here's hoping.

Blog Entries

The item sold with a BIN . That's what I get for being so honest. I could have just bought it, and returned it if I was dissappointed. It seems it's a dumb way to do business though.