Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eBay buyer protection

This is Ebay sometimes you just have to take the risk for what you want..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Blog Entries

Bear in mind PP and eBay aren't connected as they were. I have to wait a week for a refund after bidding on some fraudulent nonsense (again). I did something like this a while back, got my money back automatically. This time I contacted the "seller", who claimed their account was hacked, then eBay emails me and says the seller's account was compromised. The record of the sale is removed from my ebay page. But money isn't refunded. I call eBay, they say they're going to switch me over to PP (?), never got through to a person, but I am told to open a dispute on the PP site. Which is what I do, only to receive an email this morning stating they don't see anything wrong with the transaction(!!!???). I call, after an hour I'm told the "seller" has a week to refund me. And this is after eBay originally tells me the funds are pending, and pp will just refund me. So buyer beware.

Blog Entries

OK LOL eBay must be imploding! I get an email this morning stating they can't cancel the sale. The sale that they initially informed was made on a compromised account. O man this is too rich. When they do finally bite the dust, I'll dance on their corpses! LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by billdeg View Post
    You have the right to return any Ebay item, sellers must comply.
    Actually no that is not the case with all sellers. Sellers have an option to accept returns or not and it is always stated in the listing. So if you just changed your mind, you may not be able to return it if the seller does not accept returns.

If it is damaged, not as described or in the case of something stated to function and it doesn't then the seller has to resolve the issue and that may include a return.

That said, it can be a crap shoot on eBay as everybody here probably already knows. I have had 2 transactions go sour this month already. Both were BIN listings that I paid for and in both cases the seller never shipped the item(s) with zero communication.

In the case of the not as described it is not always 100% in favor of the buyer. The pictures and the description and the item specifics all count as do, in some cases, communication with the seller before buying. If he gave you further information via messaging then that can be shared with eBay and used in a decision. I know this to be true because it happened to me on an item I bought and eBay had copies of our messages so they could see the Seller was lying. It was critical for timing as it was already past the 30 day window.

I learned my lesson a while back. If an item is mostly working but with some problems, do not give an explanation of what is working and what isn't in the eBay listing. Because if you do, even if you list it in the "For parts or not working" category with no returns accepted, a buyer can use their subjective disagreement of your assessment as grounds for eBay's customer support to force you to accept a return. A buyer of an item I sold did exactly that, and even got PayPal to do a chargeback on their payment for it.

That's why so many sellers list items as "untested" even if you know full well they could or did actually test it. The less they explain about an item, the less they are giving buyers opportunities to dispute the listing.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    That's why so many sellers list items as "untested" even if you know full well they could or did actually test it. The less they explain about an item, the less they are giving buyers opportunities to dispute the listing.
    This, unfortunately, is the sad state of eBay these days. And it is for this reason that many sellers do not even answer messages sent with questions about an item. eBay has made it difficult to want to be a seller on their site. I stopped a long time ago because of all the one-sided changes.