Image Map Image Map

Thread: XT-ide CF board bad after power supply failure?

Default XT-ide CF board bad after power supply failure?

0308192216.jpg0308192218.jpg

I have a lo-tec XT-ide CF board (from texelec) and it has been working just fine, until it was in an 5160 XT when the power supply went bad. Since then, the CF board ROM doesn't seem to load properly during boot. No other components in that system went bad, but the xt-ide board hasn't worked since. I've tried it in other machines and it won't work now.

I'm wondering if it's possible for the flash rom to become corrupted? Perhaps I should try to re-flash it?

There is a message during boot "D8000 ROM", two beeps, then F1 error resume ... If I debug -d D800:0000 I can see the XTIDE rom, so it appears to be there, but there's now an error when booting. This card worked worked before the power supply went bad. Hmm

You could try re-flashing or put the EEprom in a programmer and try to read it / erase it / program it. But i suspect the EEprom may be toast, The EEprom is usually the first to go in situations like that. Of course 1 or more other IC's may have been damaged but i'd go for the EEprom first.

Agree, new chip can be flashed in-system btw.

Thanks for the tips ... I reflashed the rom chip, but it didn't solve the problem. The flash program appears to work properly, so it is probably the rom chip. The chip is readable (at least the start of D800 is readable), but must have a bad pin somewhere. I'm going to order some parts to build a new board anyway and will try a new rom chip for this board.

After some further testing, the power supply is actually OK and working, so the problem might have been caused by the XT Ide board... maybe it didn't sit in the expansion slot properly or something caused a short on the board and resulted in the power supply not turning on and the subsequent damage on the board. I'll try a new rom and then replace the logic ics if that doesn't work.

Just a quick note for this discussion on the final outcome ... the ROM chip was bad. I replaced it with a new chip, flashed it, and the card is working again! Thanks for the suggestion.