Image Map Image Map
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rant forum deleted?

I'm sorry, but the primary mission here is to discuss vintage computers.

We have an off-topic area, generally for computing topics that are not vintage. Continue to use that if you want, but if it turns negative we'll jump on it much quicker.

Blog Entries

So again it's not okay to have a civil discussion on something like restaurants, among us like-minded people.

Blog Entries

Generally I'd be in agreement that politics are not a good idea in today's environment, especially in a small community that cannot afford fragmentation.

I just regret that fun and occasionally useful threads like Ebay Follies got nuked in the process, with little warning. It's nice sometimes to let loose amongst a (usually) sympathetic audience, and to know you're not alone.

Believe it or not, there once was a Political Discussion board and it was one of the 1st things to Disappear.

Yeah. I understand the view that this is a vintage-computer forum first and foremost, but in my experience any forum that goes the strictly-topical approach eventually loses all sense of community, turns into a glorified reference site, then dies when something more open and welcoming comes along to take its place.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    So again it's not okay to have a civil discussion on something like restaurants, among us like-minded people.
    Once again, that is not our primary mission. We will willing to let it happen so long as it doesn't cause us an undue burden.

Why are you implying otherwise? What have we done that would support that?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    To be fair, that post office thread abandoned civility at the end there and turned into personal insults.

I'm not sure if the rants should totally be killed, I did like the eBay thread... But I feel like any rants of value can be conducted in other forums. That eBay one could easily be done in the general off topic thread.

I'm not sure we need any completely off topic threads like politics or religion. Unless somehow they have something to do with the hobby and are specific to a shared topic. I think a decent one was the discussion on recycled equipment laws.

Anyway, maybe they gave a way to move the decent "rants" out of the hidden forum at least.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

This place might become part of Elon Musk's "Boring Company".

Instead of nuking a perfectly entertaining forum, how about just snipping out content from posts you deem offensive and publicly banning the offending poster(s) while closing the topic? The event would then be instructional to others considering posting offensive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    To be fair, that post office thread abandoned civility at the end there and turned into personal insults.
    Please, any lack of civility stems directly from the contributors, themselves and not the thread.

It can, does, and will happen anywhere and everywhere. It's the nature of the beast. Trying to control it is an exercise in futility. Speaking of which... how long do you think this thread will last?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    This place might become part of Elon Musk's "Boring Company".

Instead of nuking a perfectly entertaining forum, how about just snipping out content from posts you deem offensive and publicly banning the offending poster(s) while closing the topic? The event would then be instructional to others considering posting offensive stuff.
    I said it's taking a time out while we (the moderators and board of directors) figure out what to do about it. It is hidden, not "nuked."

Also, once again, supporting people "ranting" on the Internet is not part of our core mission. So regardless of the entertainment value, if our reputation suffers because people can't control themselves when they are using our resources then we are going intervene.

We are here to support vintage computing. Let's get back to it.

+ Reply to Thread