Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can WinXP be considered "vintage"?

Default Can WinXP be considered "vintage"?

Please? I have a question that arises from its use: I have a couple of XP machines that were configured before the April cutoff that still are useful occasionally - for example to connect with a Handspring or Palm PDA. The problem arises from the fact that as more modern machines introduce new technology many of the software publishers have abandoned support for the older hardware.

Such was the specific problem I encountered today: Trying to install a more recent version of AVG than 2015 I found I could not find one that would install. AVG 2015 still can download updates for this version but no more recent version will install on the old 1.67 GHz Athlon XP processor. The machine is perfectly capable of accessing the Internet at decent speeds but again the newer versions of Firefox can not be installed. Without a modern browser and without anti-virus software it makes surfing the web more of an adventure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

-CH-

Blog Entries

Well, AFAK, Clamwin still works on XP.

But generally, I don't surf with my older gear (this past weekend, I was using Win NT 4.0 SP6 on a machine)--if I need a file, I download it from a machine that can run up-to-date software and use ftp to move it to the legacy box.

Yes, you can run old software on your old XP box, but the security probably isn't up-to-snuff. Among other gotchas with an older CPU is the lack of SSE2 instructions.

For file transfer to the outside, I keep a couple of Orange Pi PCs around.

As for Firefox, there are some PaleMoon for XP builds here, including ones for machines without SSE2:
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-...e-moon-for-xp/

Blog Entries

I know--I've suggested Palemoon SSE on an earlier post. But really, you shouldn't be browsing on a system that old and expect any sort of security, even if you've kept current with all of the POSReady2009 fixes. (Does POSReady support end in April?)

It's always interesting to me to hear people angst about security. I ran XP as my daily driver for over a decade (2004-2015ish) without any security software at all aside from periodic runs of Windows Update, and the only times I ever had issues with infections were the times I carelessly ran an executable I'd personally downloaded from a questionable source. I'm not going to say that anyone should do all their online banking, intelligence-agency work-from-home assignments, etc. on an XP box these days, but if you just want to do some light browsing on it, good judgement and NoScript should have you covered.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    It's always interesting to me to hear people angst about security. I ran XP as my daily driver for over a decade (2004-2015ish) without any security software at all aside from periodic runs of Windows Update, and the only times I ever had issues with infections were the times I carelessly ran an executable I'd personally downloaded from a questionable source.
    I think it's a mix of fearmongering that if it's not up to date it's a disaster waiting to happen or that sure, you can be due-dilligent but nobody is perfect.
    Sure, that's entirely true, but not everyone is stupid either.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Well, to be frank, I don't browse under Windows, period. I used 3.1, NT 4, 2K and XP at various times, but I finally kicked the Microsoft habit.

Blog Entries

I still have XP machines I use for games but browsing on them isn't much fun. I would not log into anything important on an OS without a decent up to date AV package. Mostly I would worry about keyloggers taking your bank login information or somebody trying to steal your STEAM login plus the usual malware fun. The days people wrote code just to screw with you are over, these days they either want to make your machine a bot for DDOS somebody else or make money off of you in any way they can (extortion, bank theft, identity theft, or good old product advertising).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I have two for software reasons. There's just no other way to get the software I run on one to work. On the other the only alternative is a "modern" computer. I will likely have to resort to that soon as the Athlon machine that I thought could replace it is just apparently to old and unusual for XP. It stinks because I don't know the first thing about anything made past 2002 except the raspberry pi. So I don't have any idea what to look for or where to look. And I am super hesitant anyway as I really, really don't want to run Windows X. In fact, I think I would have to set up a DMZ just to use it, which really irritates me.

I do browse the web in XP occasionally to download software. I don't have any issues. I've been browsing the web since it was new and I know how to avoid trouble.

Is it vintage? No. It's just the most dangerous thing on the planet, apparently.

Blog Entries

Well, I do have XP installed as virtual machines on a couple of my newer systems. What with today's faster hardware, the result is something that runs about as fast as it did on original hardware. Since the operating environment is all abstracted, there's no issue with finding device drivers--in fact, I can just copy the virtual system files over to a completely different hardware setup and it'll still run as if it had never moved. Mostly, I use it for some relatively ancient EDA and music transcription packages.

Come to think of it, I could probably run what I need under a VM running W2K...
    Last edited by Chuck(G); March 11th, 2019 at 09:04 PM.