Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Can WinXP be considered "vintage"?

AMD K6 lacks any SSE, so Palemoon SSE wouldn't even work cause it wants the original SSE version at the very least? Sad to hear you say New Moon/Pale Moon SSE are dead. Wouldn't Dillo work?

There are builds of NewMoon for machines without SSE2 https://o.rths.cf/palemoon/?sort=date&order=desc

They run nicely on Athlon XP CPUs (no SSE2) but I have not tried them on anything earlier.

Blog Entries

I've run NewMoon SSE on a P3, but the K6 is less embellished.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I still have XP machines I use for games but browsing on them isn't much fun. I would not log into anything important on an OS without a decent up to date AV package. Mostly I would worry about keyloggers taking your bank login information or somebody trying to steal your STEAM login plus the usual malware fun. The days people wrote code just to screw with you are over, these days they either want to make your machine a bot for DDOS somebody else or make money off of you in any way they can (extortion, bank theft, identity theft, or good old product advertising).
    My XP gamer is void of any personal information; no bank accounts or steam info. I don't run any AV's and if I get hacked I'm have a current ISO.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I have two for software reasons. There's just no other way to get the software I run on one to work. On the other the only alternative is a "modern" computer. I will likely have to resort to that soon as the Athlon machine that I thought could replace it is just apparently to old and unusual for XP. It stinks because I don't know the first thing about anything made past 2002 except the raspberry pi. So I don't have any idea what to look for or where to look. And I am super hesitant anyway as I really, really don't want to run Windows X. In fact, I think I would have to set up a DMZ just to use it, which really irritates me.

I do browse the web in XP occasionally to download software. I don't have any issues. I've been browsing the web since it was new and I know how to avoid trouble.

Is it vintage? No. It's just the most dangerous thing on the planet, apparently.
    Just find another old PC with XP installed to run your old software. They aren't extinct yet. You don't have to resort to any modern system. Even a Pentium III or a similar Athlon will work nicely with XP, depending on how much horsepower you need for your particular software.

On Ebay you can find systems pre-installed with XP so you don't have to do any work yourself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Just find another old PC with XP installed to run your old software. They aren't extinct yet. You don't have to resort to any modern system. Even a Pentium III or a similar Athlon will work nicely with XP, depending on how much horsepower you need for your particular software.
    This dual P4 isn't getting the job done. I tried to resurrect a Athlon machine, but I don't expect it would have done any better. Something moderately better isn't going to be worth the time and money either.

Blog Entries

Athlon XPs and newer run XP just fine. I use an old Athlon 3200+ (high end 400fsb model fastest made) as an old XP game box with 2GB DDR1-400 RAM and a Geforce 6800 of some kind (AGP) and it rocks.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Unknown_K is right on the mark. I have basically the same type of older gamer. The only difference being a Sempron 3300+ which is an OEM issue and is considered a re-branded Anthlon XP 3200 (both chips have identical specs), and my board oddly supports 3 GB of memory.

Check my old build thread out: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...A7N8X-E-Deluxe

Just about every kind of a build problem that you could imagine and it's still going on.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I stayed with Windows XP for a very long time (albeit the 64-bit edition) and it worked fine on an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU, and continued to work fine when I upgraded to a Core 2 Quad Q9300. I did eventually switch that system to Windows 8 and it's running Windows 10 today.

Lately when I've needed an XP system I've been able to manage using a VM. This works for me only because (1) I happen to already have a VMware ESXi server for other reasons and (2) the things I've needed XP for haven't involved interacting with physical devices that are hard to attach to a VM (i.e. legacy hardware). Mostly this has been things like accessing device configuration/management web pages that don't work on a modern browser (but do work using IE6).

If I ever decide to set up a dedicated XP system (for retro gaming, most likely) I don't expect it to be particularly difficult, but it's not a need that has come up yet.