Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Can WinXP be considered "vintage"?

Blog Entries

Sign me up and where do you get it?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Being fully immersed in Amiga for so long makes all other graphical operating systems intolerable.
    Having recently worked on getting my Amiga set up with whdload, etc. and it was the first time I had dealt with an Amiga (it was my dads, i had the Atari ST myself at the time), I wasn't that happy with the GUI. I attributed most of my difficulties with it being a 30 year old OS though. Copying (or maybe it was moving) files was confusing to me. I mostly ended up just doing everything with Directory Opus (Dopus).
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Having recently worked on getting my Amiga set up with whdload, etc. and it was the first time I had dealt with an Amiga (it was my dads, i had the Atari ST myself at the time), I wasn't that happy with the GUI. I attributed most of my difficulties with it being a 30 year old OS though. Copying (or maybe it was moving) files was confusing to me. I mostly ended up just doing everything with Directory Opus (Dopus).
    It's very different. I had the same trouble you had, but when I was starting to use Windoze. I still have trouble occasionally with files getting moved in Windoze when I'm not trying to move them.

But you made my point.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Linux has been a real challenge for me, so I'm taking a long break from it. I'm sticking with Windows until Win7 goes EOL from both M$ and 3rd party apps. After that, I may stick to Win8.1 for a while until it's dead too. Then I'll be a permanent Linux user, well, reluctantly.
    This has been a very interesting discussion. Thanks to all who replied.

Like many other posters on this thread I have a number of machines from various manufacturers that run different OS, but the "official" or "house" brand has been Win7 x64, of which I have five licenses. Two of those machines have XP running as a Microsoft VM, one runs DOS 6.22 as an Oracle VM (as well as DOS Box) and one is also a dual-boot Fedora Linux OS.

By posting my original question I learned that the Intel SSE / SSE2 processor technology was the limiting factor for some software, including browsers and anti-virus programs, that prevented later versions from running on older AMD and Intel hardware. In my view that's an explanation, but not an excuse.

Among my "legacy" devices that no longer are supported under Win 7 is a high-end Epson scanner, a flat-bed with a transparency unit. The driver supplied with the unit was intended for use with 32-bit XP, and it was fairly sophisticated in the controls it offered, especially when compared with the WIA driver, which didn't even recognize the transparency scanner. When Microsoft introduced Vista and later Win7 Epson did not release a driver for those OS, but some people found a way to configure the .ini file for another Epson scanner so it could be used with the later OS.

Recently I dug out the old Epson scanner and tried to use it with the Win7 machine that is dual-boot. Windows could only install the Epson driver on the XP VM. Epson technical support swore up and down that there was no way to use the scanner with anything but XP32. But the XSANE scanner program for Linux exposed all of the features of the scanner without the benefit of the Epson driver - even the transparency unit.

I have looked at Windows 8 and Windows 10, and I know there will come a day when support for Windows 7 ends. When that day comes I will be running Linux as the house brand. It has been interesting to learn the ins-and-outs of Mac OS 6.x - 9.x and how Amiga and Atari compare and contrast; what life could have been like if OS/2 had won out, etc. But for turn-it-on-and-get-something-done it will be Linux that I turn to.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Sign me up and where do you get it?
    https://www.haiku-os.org/

Interesting to hear that it's finally reached beta - I'd kinda given up on it some years ago (especially as the community seemed more interested in chasing Linuxy fluffery like package managers than working on things like the perpetually-broken wifi support,) but I'm gonna have to give it another look when I get a chance...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    https://www.haiku-os.org/

Interesting to hear that it's finally reached beta - I'd kinda given up on it some years ago (especially as the community seemed more interested in chasing Linuxy fluffery like package managers than working on things like the perpetually-broken wifi support,) but I'm gonna have to give it another look when I get a chance...
    Thanks John,

Tom
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting