Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MICROMATION CP/M 2.1 disk(s) needed

Default MICROMATION CP/M 2.1 disk(s) needed

I am a retired S-100 bus early adopter from the late 1970's when I had a computer store in Phoenix Arizona named BITS-N-BYTES and later Arizona Micro Computer Center. When that store closed in the early 1980's I kept some inventory to play with. I put most of it away on shelves after tinkering with some of it for a few years but now it has been sitting for decades. I recently decided to see if I could revive some of it to sell before I get to incapacitated due to my age and health issues. One of the systems is a 2 drive MICROMATION system using their Z64 board and DOUBLER and MULTI I/O. I was able to get it running and communicating eith my TELEVIDEO 920C terminal. However, I am unable to locate the SYSTEM disks for it and only have 8 or so floppys that were work disks. So I am looking for some help to find the system disks to allow me to format and SYSGEN other floppys. If anyone knows of someone that can help me find the disks I would be most appreciative.
    I am starting to sell my collection on EBAY as seller TEMPLE922. If there is something there that you are interested in, please buy it or contact me if you need more information.
    Best regards, Alan Sutton

I just had a look thru my disk stash and found an 8" floppy that's labeled Micromation CP/M 2.2 60K. It's not an OEM disk, but I will attempt to read it back and see if it's still viable.

Default Hi, thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by new_castle_j View Post
    I just had a look thru my disk stash and found an 8" floppy that's labeled Micromation CP/M 2.2 60K. It's not an OEM disk, but I will attempt to read it back and see if it's still viable.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. My work disks report CP/M 2.1 and I wonder if that is MICROMATION first issue of CP/M just before 2.2 came out. Hopefully the disk is able to be copied and has all of the CP/M .COM files needed to support it. I should be able to get it installed even if it is the later 2.2 as long as it has the MICROMATION doubler support. I will gladly pay any expense to get a copy of the disk sent to me.
    Best regards, Alan Sutton

I found half a dozen more disks or so related to MicroMation today and I attempted to read them using Dunfield's IMD program. I was able to capture the first 2 tracks of each disk, but that's all. I haven't ran into this situation before where IMD stops trying after the first tracks. I can see that these are SSDD media so I also tried reading the contents with 22disk and various 8" SSDD formats that were available, no joy. I will set aside some more time and tinker around with some other tools and see if I can make any progress.

You might need to tell ImageDisk to always reanalyze every track. Perhaps try Teledisk instead if that still fails. First couple of tracks might be single density while the rest are double density.

Excellent suggestions, I just tried both. Teledisk behaved the same way as IMD, first 2 tracks were read, and then it stopped. When I set IMD to do full analysis on every track, the first 2 tracks were successful, and the rest came back with "N", I assume that means Null or No Data. So I guess I have a stack of disks with only system tracks on them, it looked more promising than that since the labels written on the disks indicated that they contained sysgen and other utilities.

There was one disk that was SSSD CP/M formatted and I managed to read off some source code from it, contents are attached here in case it's helpful to someone.

MICROMAT.zip

Looks like Bitsavers has a scan of the CP/M BIOS, if it comes down to *that*:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/micromation/

I don't think I've seen any Micromation disks in the archives of 8" disks I have that need imaged.

Is your FDC compatible with 128-byte MFM sectors? Use ImageDisk's TESTFDC to check. A quick web search suggests these may use 128-byte sectors.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Is your FDC compatible with 128-byte MFM sectors?
    maybe chuck has run into a system that had dd then sd, but I never have.
    the issue may be the opposite, that whatever you are using can't deal with micromation's higher density format

what does anadisk have to say about these disks? it would also be pretty weird if only the first two tracks are formatted

the manual
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/micromation...anual_1980.pdf

shows it doesn't use an LSI floppy controller, so double-density is quite likely not IBM MFM
    Last edited by Al Kossow; March 17th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.

Right, if what is on the disks is not IBM MFM compatible then something like a Kryoflux would be needed to dump the stream, and some additional software to decode them.