Image Map Image Map
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Issue...

Default Board Issue...

I've been getting this off and on all day:

This site can’t be reached

www.vcfed.org’s server DNS address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

And when I ping:

Ping request could not find host vcfed.org. Please check the name and try again.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Its been the same for me Stone. Last couple hours, I cannot connect to the site or the forum. And when I can connect and try to send or reply I get the hourglass and it times out half the time. Something is wrong it seems.

Ditto for me.

Dave

I'm not sure it is vcf-form problem. I've seen this on other sites as well. My suspect is it is your internet provider giving band width to video streaming.
    Dwight

So multiple ISPs are acting in concert? Highly unlikely.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Not a big deal, but I lost my password today and had to login.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

If your DNS server is not resolving our address then it is an ISP issue. (The address clearly resolves for other people and we haven't made any configuration changes.)

I wonder what folks are using for DNS? I'd suggest Google (8.8.8.8 ) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222) as your DNS, or really anything but your cable providers DNS as those are notoriously bad (among other privacy related issues, not that there aren't privacy issues with google DNS either but it's likely better than the government monitored ISPs).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Interesting; it's working for me now, but this morning I got an error trying to connect to the server (not a DNS error.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    If your DNS server is not resolving our address then it is an ISP issue. (The address clearly resolves for other people and we haven't made any configuration changes.)
    Doesn't mean it's not a site specific issue. The zone has to be hosted somewhere - usually either on the same network as the web site or a registrar.

The ISP I use isn't the biggest and sometimes they are the focus of DDoS attacks that can cause this type of intermittent behavior. I haven't had any issues today with this site. (I use Google for my DNS resolver).
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

+ Reply to Thread