Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98SE Security

Blog Entries

borgward:

You may what to give thought to going with XP on your A7 board. I have more or less an ongoing thread here on that particular board as a retro gaming project. You would be be able to at least use an older version of Firefox that work fairly well. The A7 fully supports XP as well as SATA 1.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    How do you know nothing was infected?
    Generally viruses/malware/trojans/etc. do something to the machine to make it obvious something is amiss.

Either you'll see visual symptoms like ad injection on sites, files changing or unusual disk/network activity.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Generally viruses/malware/trojans/etc. do something to the machine to make it obvious something is amiss.

Either you'll see visual symptoms like ad injection on sites, files changing or unusual disk/network activity.
    In my experience that's not always the case, Alot of malware nowadays are rather stealthy. Now if you got hit by say ransomware or a mining viruse then yes you would know.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I use firefox 8 on my 98SE system. I have a 333mhz processor and 384MB of RAM and firefox runs like cold molasses. It also doesn't load a fair few websites.
    This suits me fine though. Feels just like the internet I remember from the early 2000s
    (I don't use that system for much serious internet stuff though, before you ask.)

Other browsers with potentially slightly better security that may work on a 98SE system (probably with KernelEx) are supposedly SeaMonkey and K-Meleon.
    I haven't tried them yet, but they seem to have the most recent versions that are supposed to be compatible.

I can only share what I experienced so far. In the late 2000s, I was asked by a friend of our family to upgrade a Win95 computer to be web-capable.
    While I managed to upgrade some parts (mainly memory) and install Win98SE, the experience was horrible. A torture, to be honest.

At the time, I had to install Avira Antivir (v6 ?) and Kerio Personal Firewall. While the Antivirus-Software ran "okay", the firewall was a joke.
    The antivirus program displayed warning messages several times shortly after internet connection was established.

So no, from a personal experience I can't recommend exposing Win9x to the Net. Age does not protect against stupidity.
    Even if current malware doesn't run on it, some of the old VBScripts might run via rusty old Windows Scripting Host, which is enabled in Win9x by default.
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host

Also, some older plain Win32 malware still can run on Windows 9x, as it can on Win2000 or XP.
    This is in stark contrast to real dinosaurs like MS-DOS or Windows for Workgroups, which can't run these scripts or ordinary Win32 applications.

Last but not least, the engine of IE 5 and 6 is tied to the Windows Explorer.
    Exploits in GDI/Windows Meta Files can still work even under 98SE, so be careful.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window..._vulnerability
    "Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
    In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." -The Minstrel

Blog Entries

My old 98SE computer has scripting host OFF. All my networked computers are hardware firewalled with a hardware/software "gateway" computer. Of course, with numerous newer computers at hand I seldom connect or use this computer. It is a "tweener".
    Rick Ethridge

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    If you want a newer browser get kernelEX and Firefox, You sould be able to use firefox 10 with kernelEX.
    Also maleware is still out there for 9x but most newer malware will not work on 9x, some newer malware may work if you install kernelEX. Be extra careful and isolate the system behind a firewall on its own Vlan and install all of the updates for 9x.

As for AV, good luck, I think you can still use ClamWin AV on 98, but if I recall that's just a scanner. Still better then nothing.

How do you know nothing was infected?
    I monitor if there is traffic, I have my systems setup to not have network activity if Iím not actively browsing
    I also tend to turn on an all ports blocked firewall after the page loads and watch for pinging and from whom

Itís not hard to know if data is moving