Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amstrad PCW 8256

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB17
    Lots of .DSK images can be found thru the web, everything from system disks to games. Easy to use with the Gotek, more of a problem if you want to get them onto a 3" disk"

This is why I bought the micro-gotek. Typically for me I found my real boot disks the same day the gotek arrived!

You can tell if the band has snapped/melted because you can hear the drive running roughly - a fully working drive is pretty silent.

One thing I couldn't get working was a 3" boot floppy and the gotek as drive 1. The drives do have individual select lines that are activated when needed, I put a logic analyser on just to confirm the /MTRON, /DS0 and /DS1 lines worked as expected, but every time I just got both drives being accessed. I did find an OR-gate based circuit that was supposed to combine the S0 and MO lines on the gotek to let it work with/as a 3" boot drive but this may only work if you're planning on having 2 goteks in the PCW and I think that's a waste.
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs

Blog Entries

I found that a 2 1/4" Plastiband worked well as a ersatz belt on the CF2 drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G)
    I found that a 2 1/4" Plastiband worked well as a ersatz belt on the CF2 drive

I'd read that, indeed one of the drives I refurbished last weekend had a little thin elastic band in it which had perished just like the other 4
    www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - UK home computer history
    Where RIFA capacitors come to die
    facebook.com/binarydinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I found that a 2 1/4" Plastiband worked well as a ersatz belt on the CF2 drive.
    Luckily I have a bin full of various belt sizes I ordered a while back, so i'm not too concerned about getting the drive working (assuming it's not already), if I need to. But, with no disks, it's not much of a concern. Haven't had a chance to open this up, a motherboard for my bad Mac 512k arrived and that machine was still on the workbench so I need to finish that up before I rip apart another machine... lest I wind up with a bunch of mix-matched screws (no matter how careful I try to be with separate screw holders). When i get this thing opened up I'll get some pics and update on what i end up doing about the drive.

I did find the gotek mount though.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2850367

Speaking of drive belts, when I was looking for a gotek mount I saw someone had created this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2854841

I don't really have the right filament to do it, and i have my doubts about how well this would work anyway (nor would i even bother since belts are so easy to come by), but it's interesting..
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).