Image Map Image Map

Thread: Unidentified S-100 Card

1. Default Unidentified S-100 Card

I know absolutely nothing about S100 bus equipment. I was given a box of computer stuff. Until I dug through it I was expecting 90s era stuff. Nope, Primarily 70s and 80s. At first I actually thought I had mainframe components.
    I was able to figure out that the card on the right was a S D Sales Micronix Z8800B CPU Card from 1976, but I'm clueless as for the other card, but my first thought is RAM Expander. Also whats the value on these? I'm trying to decide if they are worth saving/selling. They are both pretty dirty and obviously untested but I'm not seeing any obvious damage. One has a patch wire running across the back, looks pretty professional so I'm betting its a factory correction. If they are just common junk they'll likely get pitched as if the working value = <100 they probably aren't going to be worth the work to get them into usable condition as they are looking at deep cleaning and recapping at the very minimum.

So.... what am I dealing with .

Top board looks to be 8 bit ISA IBM compat - are those RJ45/network ports or phone ports off the back of the board? The transformer makes me think early modem board for a PC XT or something - around 1984, lots of VLSI chips but too many for late 80s.

The other two are S100 as you say - can't see the markings on the chips so it's difficult to say. A Z8800 cpu is reasonably rare?

http://www.s100computers.com/Hardwar...ms%20Z8800.htm

If you bin them merely because you cannot profit more the $100 each, you will be denying someone who just can't afford that sort of cash but would otherwise find them fascinating/useful etc. However, I would think anything S100 from the mid 70s would generate interest on eBay. Start an auction from $50?

The board on the left - can't see any detail so it's hard to say. 1975 IMS associates - so out of an IMSAI, the prettier Altair clone. What are the markings on the big IC? Look up the pinout for the S100 bus - that card seems to have 5 - 6 bus lines going straight to that chip - may give a clue as to its function if the chip markings don't. Again, it has value due to age and it being from an IMSAI. Hope that helps at all? Here in sunny old brittain, you would almost never come across stuff like this - let almost have someone give it to you

"they probably aren't going to be worth the work to get them into usable condition as they are looking at deep cleaning and recapping at the very minimum"

- anyone interested in S100 kit of this age is likely capable of cleaning / recapping and recommissioning themselves. I would save yourself the effort and list them on eBay?

Please don't trash them?!

Oh, that big chip on the LH board could be an early PROM chip - non eraseable EPROM? just a guess though.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Top board looks to be 8 bit ISA IBM compat - are those RJ45/network ports or phone ports off the back of the board? The transformer makes me think early modem board for a PC XT or something - around 1984, lots of VLSI chips but too many for late 80s.

The other two are S100 as you say - can't see the markings on the chips so it's difficult to say. A Z8800 cpu is reasonably rare?

http://www.s100computers.com/Hardwar...ms%20Z8800.htm

If you bin them merely because you cannot profit more the $100 each, you will be denying someone who just can't afford that sort of cash but would otherwise find them fascinating/useful etc. However, I would think anything S100 from the mid 70s would generate interest on eBay. Start an auction from $50?

The board on the left - can't see any detail so it's hard to say. 1975 IMS associates - so out of an IMSAI, the prettier Altair clone. What are the markings on the big IC? Look up the pinout for the S100 bus - that card seems to have 5 - 6 bus lines going straight to that chip - may give a clue as to its function if the chip markings don't. Again, it has value due to age and it being from an IMSAI. Hope that helps at all? Here in sunny old brittain, you would almost never come across stuff like this - let almost have someone give it to you
    I didn't mean if I couldn't make $100, I meant if the end product wasn't I don't think I'd find a buyer at a price that makes it worth my time to ship them. I've got them listed for $40 + shipping on AmiBay currently. IE I was working under the assumption if they were commonely available at $50 or so bucks someone would just buy a working one rather than repair what I have at that price. I have no desire to get into the pre-1980s computer world. I'm very happy in my fantasy world where its still 1995

I half expected to be told they were worthless trash honestly.

No, not worthless trash - and there is no harm in asking, what's a forum for if not asking questions? I'd say the S100 boards of of niche value and America is a big enough place for there to be IMSAI enthusiasts aplenty.

I get your love of the 90's - I insist on 90s cars - driving a '96 Ford Probe GT. Mocked in its day but a head turner now. 90's where my 20's!

I find 70s/80s computer equipment fascinating for its simplicity, rugged design and that fact that it came from an era where manufacturers where on the cutting edge and designing to please the customer and out perform the competition. Long gone are those days. We are mocked and bled dry by capitalist puritans now.

Do you have your own interest in computer tech? You must have some knowledge if these boards meant anything to you? Your average joe would briefly look up from their $1200 iPhone and quickly shuffle on! Never been on Amibay - where are you on ebay?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    No, not worthless trash - and there is no harm in asking, what's a forum for if not asking questions? I'd say the S100 boards of of niche value and America is a big enough place for there to be IMSAI enthusiasts aplenty.

I get your love of the 90's - I insist on 90s cars - driving a '96 Ford Probe GT. Mocked in its day but a head turner now. 90's where my 20's!

I find 70s/80s computer equipment fascinating for its simplicity, rugged design and that fact that it came from an era where manufacturers where on the cutting edge and designing to please the customer and out perform the competition. Long gone are those days. We are mocked and bled dry by capitalist puritans now.

Do you have your own interest in computer tech? You must have some knowledge if these boards meant anything to you? Your average joe would briefly look up from their $1200 iPhone and quickly shuffle on! Never been on Amibay - where are you on ebay?
    I hate eBay as a seller. No protection and they make you wait an absurd amount of time for your money. Same for normal PayPal. Ill only sell using PP F&F at this point. I used to hate people that did that but I understand why now.

and yes, I own many many vintage computer system ranging from the late DOS era through to high end DX10 SLI setups. I probably own 60 or so PC's counting the gaming laptop collection. I could probably build 20 more from the parts closet and have 100 or parts left over. I mostly collect GPUs, I have at least one card from every generation of NVIDIA GPUs released from the RiVA 128 on through to Kepler. I have most of the famous high end models and defacto standard mid range models from 2000 to 2006.

Wow! I started my IT career in 2002 - some of that stuff is now collectable, I feel old!

Oh - I just noticed your other thread. I was being flippant when I called the IMSAI a clone.

The Altair is the Apple I of the S100 world, as in where it all started. Considered by many to be the first affordable home and business computer - offered in kit form or fully assembled.

The IMSAI is no clone, I apologize for that. The IMSAI could be the Apple II of the S100 world but more special. It's where the S100 bus really took off and was an expansion and improvement in build quality, features and asthetics over the Altair The IMSAI was a legend in its own right and featured in a number of films - Wargames comes to mind?

It's worth a read on Wikipedia about both the Altair and the IMSAI. You have two pieces of computing history there - the ISA board is probably worth $40 to some one!

I think people get annoyed when sellers on eBay list these things at sky high prices $150 or more - puts it out of reach for many from the off. Worse are the Goldbug scrappers and the Keyboard fetish thieves! Try an auction on something other than eBay starting at $40 and see what you get?

The other board is an IMSAI PIC-8.

If the SD systems Z8800 is the board with the modification it may be a known update to correct a DMA problem.

- Gary