Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 40 SX Power Supply

Default IBM PS/2 Model 40 SX Power Supply

This computer turned on at the guys house I bought it from, got it home it wont turn on. left it plugged in and the power supply started smelling like electrical burning. It appears to be a proprietary power supply. Is there any way to rig up an ATX unit to work here? I don't imagine being able to find replacements easily and a power supply is not something I feel comfortable taking apart and trying to repair considering there are AC voltages in there.

Because everybody and their brother copied the original IBM PC and PC-XT, they went as proprietary as they could manage with the PS2 line. This makes them a bitch to repair. The power supply is a very specific shape with an unusual power switch setup. I can't imagine getting any other kind of standard PC power supply to fit in the PS2 case. You might be able to transplant the internals from an AT supply to the PS2 power supply case, but that would require opening things up and working inside the supply.

If it smells while plugged in, but turned off, then the problem must be something on the AC side before the switch. First suspect would probably be the line filter cap on the AC line coming in. I don't have a PS2 supply open to look at right now, but I believe they had these.

Well, I don't know anything about circuit design. I do know how to match up wires to a pinout but thats about it. getting in to capacitors and filter this and transistor that is too complicated for me to understand. Plus i find it really boring. However, there is a electronics shop in town that said they would take a look at it. are the line filter caps the giant ones the side of a soda can?

[QUOTE= are the line filter caps the giant ones the side of a soda can?[/QUOTE]

No, those are power conditioning caps. They smooth the AC ripple out of the DC output. Good luck with the electronics shop.

Ugh I got to the electronics repair shop and the guy was like Ughhhhh this is gonna require soldering and using a multimeter. 2 week turnaround time man. I am not willing to wait that long im just sooooo excited to get this thing running you know? So even though The way electricity works isnt the most interesting topic for me, im willing to listen if anyone wants to guide me thru which caps i should replace, and how to test them.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    Ugh I got to the electronics repair shop and the guy was like Ughhhhh this is gonna require soldering and using a multimeter. 2 week turnaround time man.
    Wow, I wonder what they DO in electronics repair shops these days? I opened the supply from my PS2/55SX, and it is altogether different from the one in my PS2/30-286, so there isn't much point in taking pictures since yours might be completely different inside. I sent an offer in a private message.

Blog Entries

Holy cow, how far we've fallen! "Gonna require a soldering iron and multimeter". For heaven's sake, what do you do all day, guy? Plug and unplug stuff?

Even I have a multimeter. Used to have a soldering iron too but I left it on all night by mistake once and it died. This electronic shop was not helpful in the slightest. I get it if you’re not into my hobby not everyone is. But he was just so hateful about his gob

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Holy cow, how far we've fallen! "Gonna require a soldering iron and multimeter". For heaven's sake, what do you do all day, guy? Plug and unplug stuff?
    Heh heh, I think that's what most of them do these days plug and unplug, I doubt there's many "old school" repair shops left that do board level repairs, None where i live now, Been gone for years, All they seem to do now is change complete circuit boards if they can get them, If not it's irreparable to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Heh heh, I think that's what most of them do these days plug and unplug, I doubt there's many "old school" repair shops left that do board level repairs, None where i live now, Been gone for years, All they seem to do now is change complete circuit boards if they can get them, If not it's irreparable to them.
    Welcome to the modern era of consumerism. It's a race to the bottom to who can provide the best for the least cost, and repair techs have long lost out.

"Repair shops" that just swap boards to make something work again usually end up with the same customer coming in again weeks or months later with the same problem because of a design fault. Electronics since the end of the CRT era have been made with ever cheaper components and ever more corners cut in the design to get a product out for as little as possible. They're only expected to last at most a couple of years now before they fail or become obsolete and then are replaced.

The product design cycles are so rapid that there is little to no QC, so if you have a board with a design fault, it's jut going to fail again.