Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy 1000 TL/2 only boots to garbage text on screen

Default Tandy 1000 TL/2 only boots to garbage text on screen

Hi all,

I just picked up a Tandy 1000 TL/2 in hopes to recreate my childhood!
    All was good for the first 2 days, I was playing around with it - everything worked, I wanted to do some upgrades so in the middle of installing MS-DOS 5.0 it locked up and the screen displayed only garbage text - but had the same colour scheme as the installation - I could see a progress like bar but it was frozen. I rebooted and this came up:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 9.01.56 PM.jpg

I got some Facebook advice and suggested that it could be bad memory.
    I pulled all socketed chips and cleaned it all with electrical cleaner and reseated all the chips - same results.
    I pulled the ram and booted it up - still got the garbage text - the keyboard did not respond (alt+ctrl+delete)

I pulled the group of these three chips and booted - got a low tone growl sound out of the machine and some of this green text on the screen:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 8.35.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 8.35.09 PM.jpg

I put them back in and pulled this loney chip on the far side of the motherboard:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 8.34.52 PM.jpg

The screen was black when I rebooted and I got that low growl/buzz sound again...

I put everything back in and booted it up - back to the original garbage screen, the keyboard functions and I can alt+ctrl+del successfully.
    It looks like it is trying to boot, but doesn't go past that first little text that would normally show the BIOS information (I think).

So I am not sure where to start.
    Should I replace all the RAM?
    Should I replace all the caps?
    Should I replace that grouping of three chips?

Any advice you could give would be great!
    Thank you
    Bret

Are you using the on-board video?

Quote Originally Posted by BretRuston View Post
    That's trying to show a RAM error, but is coming out as gibberish because the portion of RAM it's using as video RAM isn't working correctly.

Example of a Tandy 1000 RAM error:

Try putting in an EGA or VGA video card, if you have one that will work in an 8-bit ISA slot, and use that instead of the onboard video.

Yes, currently using the onboard video...
    I have an EGA card that I got at a good will, new in box... It was too long for the Tandy 1000 case so I took the mother board out and popped it in last night.
    The computer boots but the screen is black - the Tandy doesn't seem like its picked up the video card. I checked to see if there were mother board settings to jumpers to disable the onboard video - but all I could find was that the Tandy will auto disable the onboard video when it detects a new graphics card....
    I would prefer to use the onboard - so maybe I will order new RAM chips for it and hope for the best.... Would probably have more luck finding them than another video card to try, or trying to disable the onboard video - unless you have a suggestion of what to do next?

Thanks for the help!
    Bret