Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUBMIT.COM behaviour

Default SUBMIT.COM behaviour

Reading the CP/M manual entry for SUBMIT.COM: http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archi...#Section_1.6.7

I see it is supposed to write the $$$.SUB file to the active drive but then on the next warm boot the BDOS only reads from the default drive (a.

This is intended to allow you to set a command up on a removable disk that gets auto-run when that disk is booted (from a.

This behaviour is not helpful in a situation where you have multiple fixed disks, because it means that you can't run a SUBMIT job from any drive other than a:.

I see the BDOS selects a: when processing a SUBMIT job. It would be easy to comment this out (so that it read the $$$.SUB from the active drive), but if a job changed drives the thing would break. The only way out that I can see is to make SUBMIT write the $$$.SUB file to the default drive (a.

Is there any other way to achieve this? I don't want to have to start disassembling SUMBIT.COM for a fix..

(And incidentally, the Montezuma CPM SUBMIT I posted a couple of years ago doesn't work on this system - Superbrain +iUDE - either.)

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Reading the CP/M manual entry for SUBMIT.COM: http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archi...#Section_1.6.7

I see it is supposed to write the $$$.SUB file to the active drive but then on the next warm boot the BDOS only reads from the default drive (a.

This is intended to allow you to set a command up on a removable disk that gets auto-run when that disk is booted (from a.

This behaviour is not helpful in a situation where you have multiple fixed disks, because it means that you can't run a SUBMIT job from any drive other than a:.

I see the BDOS selects a: when processing a SUBMIT job. It would be easy to comment this out (so that it read the $$$.SUB from the active drive), but if a job changed drives the thing would break. The only way out that I can see is to make SUBMIT write the $$$.SUB file to the default drive (a.

Is there any other way to achieve this? I don't want to have to start disassembling SUMBIT.COM for a fix..

(And incidentally, the Montezuma CPM SUBMIT I posted a couple of years ago doesn't work on this system - Superbrain +iUDE - either.)
    At the time, there were many replacements for the SUBMIT command written to remedy this. E.g. SUPERSUB (http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...p/supersub.lbr) or DO. You should be able to find them in one of the various CP/M software collections.

Yes, I thought so. But I wanted to get the "official" SUBMIT working.

Also.. I do have SSUB v1.1 on here but it doesn't work, either.

example

e: supersub dd

does nothing, leaves $$$.SUB in E: (as does SUBMIT).

I tried with the standard floppy only boot and Supersub still doesn't work (when run from B: with the submit file also on B, so it's not due to my BIOS or BDOS tweaks.

So, the real work for SUBMIT is done by the CCP. Each time you warm boot the CCP will check for $$$.SUB and continue executing from it. However, CCP has a "cold" and "warm" boot entry point, and if your BIOS does not differentiate (always jumps to cold boot entry) then I think you'll get this behavior. At least it's a good idea, lacking facts to the contrary.

Oh, just realized you were creating $$$.SUB on drive E: ? That has been problematic on many versions, as I recall.

I checked CCP source code, and cold vs. warm start does not make a difference for $$$.SUB. However, stock DRI CCP for 2.2 does not seem to work for $$$.SUB on the default drive (if not A: ). I seem to recall fixing that in custom versions of CCP, and perhaps DRI also fixed it later on.

The official DRI patch (cpm22pat.03 at http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm22pat.zip) changes SUBMIT.COM to create $$$.SUB on drive A:.

That's what I am looking for John, thanks... Only thing is, my BIOS defines a default drive which is not A:, becasue I have a uIDE connected (to my Superbrain). So what I need is for it to create $$$.SUB on the default drive (which is normally A:, agreed). However, for my implementation I wanted A: and B: to remain as floppies and have C: - P: as uIDE partitions, with C: being the "default drive" that the BDOS uses instead of A:.

I guess I will need to get the source file for Submit and fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    That's what I am looking for John, thanks... Only thing is, my BIOS defines a default drive which is not A:, becasue I have a uIDE connected (to my Superbrain). So what I need is for it to create $$$.SUB on the default drive (which is normally A:, agreed). However, for my implementation I wanted A: and B: to remain as floppies and have C: - P: as uIDE partitions, with C: being the "default drive" that the BDOS uses instead of A:.

I guess I will need to get the source file for Submit and fix it?
    You should just be able to patch SUBMIT.COM and the CCP (?BDOS) to use drive C: for $$$.SUB. In SUBMIT.COM, the drive to use is at address 05BBh (0 for default, 1 for A:, 2 for B: etc).

Application Note 10 (CPM22APN.10, "Booting CP/M on Drives Other Than Drive A") may also be relevant here.