Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandy 1000EX Floppy drive upgrade grief

Obvious question now, why doesn't the Chinon work? How was it configured for Amiga such that it won't play with PC? The jumper options are obscure, and the net yields up no data.

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther View Post
    Obvious question now, why doesn't the Chinon work? How was it configured for Amiga such that it won't play with PC? The jumper options are obscure, and the net yields up no data.
    I believe the Amiga uses D0 and not D1, so it's possible that even if it's set for D1 that it was somehow hardware modded to be D0. The only way to be sure what it's doing is to try putting it as Drive A in a system and see if it works. But yeah, the Amiga and ST both use generally custom drives so you never know what was done to them, and you can't be sure it even works anymore unless you stick it back into that amiga as well. To be honest, if that drive does still work on an Amiga, you'd be better off selling it as an Amiga drive and buying 5 PC drives for the same money.

fyi, found this, maybe you can reverse engineer what happened: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9365

looks like a hardware mod, not just jumpers.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; March 18th, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blackepyon,

The enclosure is the Tandy 25-1060B as sold with the 1000 EX. It's just a simple, passive device.

VWeslife,

The Samsung has no configurability. The Citizen has jumpers for a variety of options and the Chinon has a 0-1-2-3 slide switch. All are as-found, no changes have been made so far.
    Ah! I thought you were trying to replace the internal drive.

Yes, the external floppy port on the EX only has the pin for DS-1 connected (A15/pin 29), according to the schematics, and it's the same on the HX as well. Internally, the EX can only support a single drive, set as DS-0, but the HX can support two drives as DS-0 and DS-1. I've never owned one of these older Tandy enclosures (I've got a 'newer' one for my RSX that uses parallel), but I imagine the pinout comes out as DS-1 inside the enclosure as well.

Download the Tandy 1000 EX Technical Reference Manual here

The Chinon is a Shugart drive, and is worth saving or passing along (don't send that for recycling if it works, those are getting rare these days). Not sure about the Citizen, but Shugart supports 4 drive IDs, where the PC standard only supports 2, hence the different pinout.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Should also mention, in case somebody ends up trying to replace an internal floppy on the HX (not EX), study the schematics and pay critical attention to the pinout, because there's +5v and +12v on that ribbon! The EX internal header doesn't have power, but the HX does. It also takes Shugart drives rather than PC standard, so take that into account as well when making/modifying a ribbon as you may have to flip a few pins around.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Amiga drives aren't just a PC drive running on DS0 ... there are some other signalling differences. I had one Teac drive with the right jumpers to switch it over to work on the Amiga (As my A2000 drive died) ... but once it's switched over I think it generally won't work. Otherwise to use a PC drive on the Amiga you have to make some changes to the PCB on the drive.
    -- Adrian

Apparently, somebody went through the trouble of setting up instructions to convert a bunch of drive models for the Amiga http://jope.fi/drives/

Actually, I think I have a drive with such jumpers to convert to work with an Amiga. Pulled it out of a 486 chassis. Note the DCRY (Disk Change/Ready) and the DS0/DS1 jumpers.
    Attachment 51839

Is there any correlation between the Shugart (0-1-2-3) and PC (A-B) drive designation standards?

For instance, is a Shugart #1 the same as PC "B"?

Blog Entries

A note about some 3.5" floppy drives. If you have some time on your hands and feel adventurous, and are willing to experiment a little, I found that in some cases, not all, but sometimes you are able to modify those 3.5 floppies. I did so on my 1000SX. Latter day 3.5 floppies, as you know, don't have the easy jumper selections to change from DS0 or DS1. However, after carefully dissecting one, I found that there was indeed a permanently fixed jumper on the drive's little PCB. In this case it was clearly marked on the silkscreen. So, I went in with my soldering iron and redid the jumper to DS1. It really doesn't a matter a whole lot as the 1000 boots off of CF a card, but I have more bootable 5.25's than the 720 flavor.
    '
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Is there any correlation between the Shugart (0-1-2-3) and PC (A-B) drive designation standards?

For instance, is a Shugart #1 the same as PC "B"?
    DS0 = A
    DS1 = B
    DS2 = C
    DS3 = D
    Shugart only has one drive motor pin, PC has two.

So if you had a Tandy 1000 with 2 internal floppy drives, and one external, your compact flash would be booting as drive D:.