Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XT/AT CLICKY mechanical keyboards

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Any selling double-shot keycaps?

How about keyboards for IBM Display Writers?

Seems to me like it's too late to put the toothpaste back into the tube.
    Double shots are all the rage there are many, many sets available in either modern ABS (doesn't yellow) or PBT plastic. Sadly, the market has standardized around Cherry mount keycaps, with the rare Alps option.

Here is a nice, double-shot ABS example:

https://www.originativeco.com/products/dsa-honeywell

Key caps made in china tend to run between $25-$100 dollars for a full set, key caps made in the US tend to run $100-$200 dollars. Even Amazon sells them now.

Where does the money for this hobby come from? The same crowd tends to also like nice watches, sneakers, and headphones. Also a lot of programmers with disposable income and engineers who like to make PCBs have really made it a thriving hobby for those who can afford it.

I have simply determined that the days of thrift in this country have long since passed (the hobby is surprisingly strong in Europe and Asia as well, as they are generally thriftier than us).

This may be a silly question, and no doubt I am ill educated in this subject, but are there any quiet "mechanical keyboards"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by feipoa View Post
    This may be a silly question, and no doubt I am ill educated in this subject, but are there any quiet "mechanical keyboards"?
    There are quiet switches, silent reds, matias quiet clicks, but the construction of they keyboard and the attention paid to the stabilizers on the longer keys is really important. If the space bar loudly rattled and clacks because of cheap stabilizers it will ruin your quiet board.

I would recommend matias quiet click, or a Vortex Vibe with silent reds.

Not to sound racist, but all those keyboards are black, and... gosh, have USB! Anything quiet, beige, and PS/2?

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    I would recommend matias quiet click
    I got one of those a while ago (Matias Quiet Pro keyboard) to use in the office. It *is* quiet, and the tactility is very nice, but the switches have had issues straight out of the box (two or three keys either don't actuate properly, or actuate twice when depressed). For what it's worth, I've seen other reports of this online; might be a faulty batch or two, but they've got some QC issues to sort out.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Not to sound racist, but all those keyboards are black, and... gosh, have USB! Anything quiet, beige, and PS/2?
    Closest thing would be an old SGI keyboard with damped Alps switches. They used PS/2.

I'm sure all of us have a stash of USB-PS2 converters. I used to have a box full of the green USB-PS2 mouse adapters, till I threw most of them away. Haven't run across as many of the purple ones for the keyboard though. The older USB keyboards used to come with them.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I'm sure all of us have a stash of USB-PS2 converters. I used to have a box full of the green USB-PS2 mouse adapters, till I threw most of them away. Haven't run across as many of the purple ones for the keyboard though. The older USB keyboards used to come with them.
    The small green ones you refer to are pin converters only, known as passive converters, and require that the keyboard support both USB and PS/2 communication protocols. Similarly on the purple "keyboard" USB->PS/2 converters (same passive product with different color coding).

I've been out of the keyboard game for quite awhile (how many mechanical boards does one need!?), however I do know that you can still find modern mechanical keyboards that speak both USB and PS/2 protocols in the sub-$50 range on the used market. They may not all support NKRO on PS/2, but unless you're heavily gaming where you need more than 3 or 6KRO, do you really care?
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick1978 View Post
    The small green ones you refer to are pin converters only, known as passive converters, and require that the keyboard support both USB and PS/2 communication protocols. Similarly on the purple "keyboard" USB->PS/2 converters (same passive product with different color coding).
    I had no idea they were passive devices. That makes sense why I've never been able to pass the USB-PS/2 through a Serial-PS/2 converter. I tried taking one apart once, but it was potted too well.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.