Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decent socket 370 motherboard in Baby AT form factor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Yeah. Best thing to do is make a list of the stuff you ACTUALLY need and just keep an eye for when it's on for a good price.
    I actually picked up my HP 16500B at a local retro-computer meet. The guy had a second one and wanted to get rid of it, and I offered him $100, he said, "sold!" I was looking at cheap USB logic analyzers online, but this was the right thing at the right price and the right time, especially given what shipping would have cost if I got one of these on eBay
    Stuff you actually need is really difficult to ascertain while you only doing hobby stuff.
    One day you fix a dead zx81 the next you have 3GHz signal generator on your hands.
    Hard to put the limits on what you're dealing with.
    And stuff to cope with gigahertz stuff is radically more expensive than your 20MHz scope.

Depends on what kind of stuff you do as a hobby. The scope was my dad's, and I got it for free, so can't really complain. I get more use out of it than he did.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.