Image Map Image Map

Thread: Osborne 1 keyboard issue

Default Osborne 1 keyboard issue

The D key on the keyboard of a O1 someone gave me oesn't work. Every other key seems to work fine, but without that key it makes it amn tough to access the irectory.

Any hints, links, or sites I can go to repair that one key would be helpful. Heck I on't even know how to take apart the keyboard to get at the keys.

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to VCFED (as this is your first post).

There is a very long series of threads on fixing an O1 with a duff key. If you look at my posts, you should find it...

The long and short of the process is that the O1 keyboard is pretty unrepairable, but it is fairly easy to identify whether the problem is actually in the keyboard itself (rather than the O1 electronics).

If you want me to expand on anything, just ask.

Dave

OK, thanks for the welcome, aver2.

I'll search through your posts and see what I can fin .

And just to be clear, every other key on the boar works fine and comes up on the screen. It's just the one, so it has to be an issue with just that particular key, right?

>>> And just to be clear, every other key on the boar works fine and comes up on the screen. It's just the one, so it has to be an issue with just that particular key, right?

If I was a betting man I would say that was the case. The keyboard is a matrix - so it would be likely that one entire row or column would be affected if it was the electronics.

Dave

MTK55, seems to be a problem with the "D" key on whatever keyboard you are typing on now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    MTK55, seems to be a problem with the "D" key on whatever keyboard you are typing on now as well.
    I was confused myself, like if he somehow hacked the Osborne keyboard to work on the pc... or was somehow Web Surfing from his Osborne.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

I thought he ha the same sense of humour as me .

ave.

Correct, aver2.

It was my attempt at humor. Glad you got it.