Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NTP Server Question

Default NTP Server Question

I just noticed that Mike's 'sntp -set pool.ntp.org' command isn't getting the hour right for DST. It's still setting my clock(s) for Standard Time.

I had to set my timezone statement an hour farther east in order to get the correct time set.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Read the documentation ...

The Daylight Savings Time rules changed a few years ago, long after the Watcom compiler runtime was last touched. You need to write a custom TZ environment variable now to make it work correctly with the current rules.

I am using "set TZ=PST8PDT7,M3.2.0/02:00:00,M11.1.0/02:00:00"

That translates to "PST is 8 hours off of GMT, PDT is only 7, switch in the 3 month first day and 11th month, first day at 2am.

Perfect... thanks.

Needless to say it was all the other time sites as well, Google, etc., since my TZ variable was incorrectly set.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Hoping the next time they change the DST they just get rid of it altogether, the last time they changed it by a few weeks was really not worth it. It's a case of the majority having to suffer for the minority.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Be careful... there's talk of keeping DST 24/7/365! You know what that would mean.

Blog Entries

We could imitate a few other countries and compromise at the half-hour. That way, everybody would have a gripe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Be careful... there's talk of keeping DST 24/7/365! You know what that would mean.
    Sanity at last.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Sanity at last.
    Really?

Where you live it would still be dark at 9:30am on Xmas morning ...and for one month before and after as well.

I don't care about light vs dark when a certain digit is displayed on a clock. Time is just a number... but it should be a year long const.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Really?

Where you live it would still be dark at 9:30am on Xmas morning ...and for one month before and after as well.
    What's wrong with that? You prefer it being dark at 4:00 in the afternoon? In any case, you're an hour off. Sunrise here is around 7:30 on Christmas, without DST.

Really I'd prefer the whole world use UTC. But "DST" year round is the best compromise we're going to get, I think.