Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amstrad PCW 9512 CP/M system boot disk please ?

Blog Entries

Default Amstrad PCW 9512 CP/M system boot disk please ?

Folks,

Does anyone in the UK have a CP/M 3" boot disk for the PCW 9512 please ?

The one supplied with my Ebay purchase seems corrupt - gets halfway through loading and then the machine stops with 4 beeps.
    I actually thought my PCW 8512 disks would work in this machine but it seems that is not so.

I can start the machine with the Locoscript word processor software but thats not much use.....

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

If you haven't gotten one yet you can drop me a note in private mail including a photo of your master so I know you've got a genuine licensed copy and I'll post you one.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the offer - PM sent.

I've got them as well, if you're coming down my way any time soon. Also on 3.5" disks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've got them as well, if you're coming down my way any time soon. Also on 3.5" disks.
    Thanks Jon - I was actually down your way yesterday picking these machines up just around the corner from you !

Oops. You could've dropped in for a cuppa. And a disk!

7. Default

If you could that would be good - I turned on my 8512 to make the disk image for him and I've got no 12v line and 2.6v on most of the CPU lines on the expansion bus lines ... 8(

Blog Entries

The thing with the 8512 is the use of 2-terminal "fuses" that look like TO-92 transistors. I replaced a faulty one with a 2 amp picofuse.

Blog Entries

Folks,

I'm still looking for a PCW 9512 CP/M boot/utilities disk in the UK please.
    JonB and I struck out trying to create one with his PCW 'tweener' the other day.

Thinking about it, I'm now pretty sure that the problem was caused by differing head alignment between the drives on our machines. This would also explain why your Locoscript disks are temperamental. So if all else fails, we can try again, using your 3" drive in my 8512 (which, for the benefit of everyone else, boots from a 3.5" drive, with a 3" drive as B. I expect I could test this theory by swapping my drives around and booting from the 3" drive (that is, prove that the disk I copied is bootable).

Oooh, hang on. There might be a FID on there for the 3.5" disk [checks drive...] YES! It's called A35.FIB. So if you still have the copied boot disk and can access it on your 8256, rename that file to A35.XXX and try to boot it again.

Hurrm. Wish I'd thought of this yesterday. Recall that it begins to load (we see the characteristic horizontal bars) then stops at the end. I bet that's when it loads the A35FID (at which point it stops because your A: drive is a 3" unit).
    Last edited by JonB; May 27th, 2019 at 01:23 AM.