Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amstrad PCW 9512 CP/M system boot disk please ?

Blog Entries

Thanks Jon, will give it a whirl this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Thinking about it, I'm now pretty sure that the problem was caused by differing head alignment between the drives on our machines. This would also explain why your Locoscript disks are temperamental. So if all else fails, we can try again, using your 3" drive in my 8512 (which, for the benefit of everyone else, boots from a 3.5" drive, with a 3" drive as B. I expect I could test this theory by swapping my drives around and booting from the 3" drive (that is, prove that the disk I copied is bootable).

Oooh, hang on. There might be a FID on there for the 3.5" disk [checks drive...] YES! It's called A35.FIB. So if you still have the copied boot disk and can access it on your 8256, rename that file to A35.XXX and try to boot it again.

Hurrm. Wish I'd thought of this yesterday. Recall that it begins to load (we see the characteristic horizontal bars) then stops at the end. I bet that's when it loads the A35FID (at which point it stops because your A: drive is a 3" unit).

Blog Entries

I have managed to get a working (original) disk now Jon - thanks for your help.

I will test your theory with the disk we built though.

You're welcome.

I expect you're too busy with the IMSAI to be much bothered by the PCW at the moment though... you lucky fellow.. Shall I start calling you "Ferris"?

Blog Entries

I'm multitasking - also trying (and failing) to get an AVL Eagle II going at the moment too.

You can call me anything you like Jon - but why Ferris ?
    Last edited by zippysticks; June 21st, 2019 at 08:37 AM.

Ferris Beuller is character played by a young Matthew Broderick, who also played the "hacker" kid in "War Games" - the film that famously featured the IMSAI.

As a result of the success of the film "Ferris Beuller's Day Off", people tend to associate the character Broderick played in War Games with Ferris...

Apologies, it was a bit tenuous!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567...er/rm542161664

His parents must've been seriously well off... how much was all that kit worth at the time, I wonder?
    Last edited by JonB; June 24th, 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Indeed he (David Lightman) must have been quite spoiled with all that 'pro' kit he had in his room - although the computer might have been around 8 years old by then. I had a 200 C64 and a black and portable TV and considered myself well off at the time.

Not sure how phone calls were charged in the US back in the early '80s but all that war dialling must have rung up a headache for his parents ?