Image Map Image Map

Thread: UART/serial BREAK questions

Default UART/serial BREAK questions

I know the break signal is basically asserting the line for longer than a frame would normally be thus introducing a bad frame technically. I read something about 2 frames + 3 more stop bits or something about the length. Probably breaks are not even used all that often these days, but my question is this:

If one issues a break - is this like a reset in a way for the line/device? Should the break be fit into an existing stream of transmitted bytes, or would a break generally clear the tx buffer if there are characters remaining to be sent? What about the RX side? Should the RX buffer be flushed as well if a device sends a break?

Blog Entries

Check the UART datasheet for the device that you're using, but AFAIK, it does not clear the buffer. But why would you send a break when there are already characters to be sent all queued up?

I agree, I don't see the point, but I am wondering how breaks usually worked. If a terminal sends a break, are there other things it does along with that such as clear rx buffer, clear tx buffer, clear handshaking status, etc.

Blog Entries

Looking at the datasheets for the 8251A and the 2661, on receive, BREAK seems to be just a special receive condition, like a framing error. Doesn't really affect anything else and continues on its merry way at the completion of the break.