Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 still free for Windows 7 users!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    There are several reasons.

With Windows 10, Microsoft now likes to re-arrange the UI after every update, possibly even removing features. Many people, especially businesses, need a UI and OS that does not completely change at random times. At the moment, Windows 7 does not change as much.

There is also the more common matter that some software/drivers that runs under Windows 7 may not run under Windows 10.
    So I've never actually run across anything that didn't run in Windows 10 that ran in Windows 7. In fact, the driver paradigm is the same between the two.

The UI I could see, except in my case, I haven't used the UI since XP which was the last version that had things where you could sort of find them. To run anything, I hit the Windows key and start typing whatever I want. Usually it takes about 3 letters for whatever I want to do or run to show up. I've used Windows the same way in both 7 and 8.

Personally I prefer the speed and UI of Windows 10, especially on a laptop because laptop support had never been great so it always gets a little better with each version (specifically for folks like me who use a laptop a lot for work and undock/dock it multiple times throughout the day with various screen configurations... Windows 10 automatically reconfigures itself correctly at least 90% of the time which is more than any previous version). In fact, when I last switched jobs they gave me a laptop with Windows 7 because their Windows 10 image wasn't ready, so I had to jump through hoops to switch to a surface just because they didn't have a Windows 7 version for it.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

I have a licensed copy of Win 8.1 that I don't ever intend to use. Can that be swapped for a Win10 license for free?

I don't have a problem with Windows 10 other than the damn forced updates that are a PITA to turn off. Otherwise, it works just as well as Windows 7.

That aside, I thought that the free upgrade thing was long over. Just wish that it worked with Vista, cause I've got a few older laptops I'd have liked to have switch off of that.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Just wish that it worked with Vista, cause I've got a few older laptops I'd have liked to have switch off of that.
    Just wipe Vista and install 10 fresh.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    So I've never actually run across anything that didn't run in Windows 10 that ran in Windows 7. In fact, the driver paradigm is the same between the two.

The UI I could see, except in my case, I haven't used the UI since XP which was the last version that had things where you could sort of find them. To run anything, I hit the Windows key and start typing whatever I want. Usually it takes about 3 letters for whatever I want to do or run to show up. I've used Windows the same way in both 7 and 8.
    I ran into alot of older games that work fine in 7 but not 10, early 3d games. My steam copy of dark forces 2 will not work in 10. and a lot of other early 9x 3d games have all manner of bugs. We have a few apps at work that are buggy as hell in 10 but work 100% fine in 7.
    As for the UI, I mean the whole interface, DPI setting are a mess with some apps and windows being fuzzy wile others are fine after changing it. Some apps like one of the two control panels still use a more widows 7 layout and the same for folders in explorer, But the newer windows 10 control panel uses a completely differently layout along with new windows 10 app like the new edge browser.
    If not that I do not like change, but that change needs to be done right. The DPI setting need to be fixed and MS needs to to pick what style UI they want to use and not mix the two.

Example
    control panel 1
    control pane 2

EDIT:
    Anyway, I'm going off topic. PM me it anyone want to talk more about this.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I have a licensed copy of Win 8.1 that I don't ever intend to use. Can that be swapped for a Win10 license for free?
    With the exception of my wife's laptop, which came with W7, my other 3 boxes all had W8 when upgrading to W10. I think you can do it. Why not grab an image an drop it on a spare DD/SSD and see what happens.

Note: Beware of that big black limo with "MS" on the license plate and a guy named "Guido".

Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    I ran into alot of older games that work fine in 7 but not 10, early 3d games. My steam copy of dark forces 2 will not work in 10. and a lot of other early 9x 3d games have all manner of bugs. We have a few apps at work that are buggy as hell in 10 but work 100% fine in 7.
    As for the UI, I mean the whole interface, DPI setting are a mess with some apps and windows being fuzzy wile others are fine after changing it. Some apps like one of the two control panels still use a more widows 7 layout and the same for folders in explorer, But the newer windows 10 control panel uses a completely differently layout along with new windows 10 app like the new edge browser.
    If not that I do not like change, but that change needs to be done right. The DPI setting need to be fixed and MS needs to to pick what style UI they want to use and not mix the two.

Example
    control panel 1
    control pane 2

EDIT:
    Anyway, I'm going off topic. PM me it anyone want to talk more about this.
    Keep in mind that W10 does not support 8/16-bit apps and/or games. That's why a lot of us keep a XP period gamers around. BTW, I've run some old games and stuff in a DOS Box (or equivalent) and they suck big time. Even dual booting into 95/98/XP on a W10 compatible modern system doesn't work right because of the lack of driver support. So this is not news and you probably know all of that anyway.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Keep in mind that W10 does not support 8/16-bit apps and/or games. That's why a lot of us keep a XP period gamers around.
    Actually Windows 10 32-bit can run DOS and Windows 3.x application. I have a Windows 10-32 box running Microsoft BOB (16-bit Win31) and other Win3x stuff.

XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit also lack NTVDM DOS/Win31 support, but 64-bit stuff did not commonly get pre-loaded until several years after the release of Windows 7.

As far as applications that don't run under Windows 10, I have heard a lot of people complain about the ability to run VirtualPC 2007 under Windows 10 (both 64-bit and 32-bit). Of course why they want to run that is different issue.

Blog Entries

A couple of customers use VDOS on W10 with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Just wipe Vista and install 10 fresh.
    I just use the laptop for reading/watching movies in bed. It's old, and isn't worth the price of a Win10 license.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.