Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 still free for Windows 7 users!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Keep in mind that W10 does not support 8/16-bit apps and/or games. That's why a lot of us keep a XP period gamers around. BTW, I've run some old games and stuff in a DOS Box (or equivalent) and they suck big time. Even dual booting into 95/98/XP on a W10 compatible modern system doesn't work right because of the lack of driver support. So this is not news and you probably know all of that anyway.
    That's pretty much the issue with any 64-bit distro. I had to give up using AutoCAD 2000 when I switched to a 64-bit OS (didn't use it enough to justify buying a newer copy). That's why I keep old hardware around. Besides, playing old games just isn't a complete experience if you're running it on an emulator.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

For me a lot of the complaints about Windows 10 are bullcookies... the legitimate complaints are mostly the same as windows 8, which is to say the garbage UI and the MDL crapplets. Almost all of that can be easily gotten rid of by installing 7+ Task Tweaker and Classic Shell, and then installing proper default programs to use instead of the garbage crapplets.

The underlying OS itself is more stable than Win7 or 8, more compatible with legacy software (hell, MechWarrior:Mercenaries runs in 3dfx mode with dgVoodoo... the Audio glitches are gone in MechWarrior 3, (all the BattleTech/MechWarrior games are notoriously garbage from a coding perspective), I've found it the best for backwards compatibility of all the versions to come along. It also seems to be LESS resource hungry, leaving me wondering just what the blazes people who claim to have problems have done to screw it up...

Though most of the time people have problems it's because of "Value added crapware" from the manufacturer of their computer. Hence why I NEVER use any install disks that come with a system -- which in Win10's case is nice since you can download and make as many install copies as you like.

Which is great since I've got a spare old 32 gig SATA SSD I made as an install disk. Plug it into eSATA and off to the races. Ever install Windows in 4 minutes?

Honestly most of the kvetching about Win10 so far as anything but the dumbass mobile-like UI seems to be complete bunko.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Actually Windows 10 32-bit can run DOS and Windows 3.x application. I have a Windows 10-32 box running Microsoft BOB (16-bit Win31) and other Win3x stuff.

XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit also lack NTVDM DOS/Win31 support, but 64-bit stuff did not commonly get pre-loaded until several years after the release of Windows 7.

As far as applications that don't run under Windows 10, I have heard a lot of people complain about the ability to run VirtualPC 2007 under Windows 10 (both 64-bit and 32-bit). Of course why they want to run that is different issue.
    I never gave any thought to W10 32-bit. Kind of chops you off at the knees with regards to memory and performance.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I realize this is a 'vintage' forum, but I'm not clear why the hate for Windows 10 other than the usual 'Why do i need something new when the old thing works fine' (which is what my dad tells my mom whenever she tries to get him to 'upgrade' his flip phone).
    I can write a novel on why Windows 10 is a dumpster fire, but seeing that has been done ad nauseum by thousands of people, here is why I don't like it and refuse to use it on any of my personal machines:

- The UI is a disaster culminating from the backpedaling of Microsoft from the "Metro" UI. You now have this half Win32, Half Metro bastard red headed stepchild where there are duplicate settings in both the Metro interface and Win32, and some settings only in one or the other interface that applies system wide. This makes configuring the system a nightmare as things are often hidden at the bottom of large lists several menus deep.

The UI is not intuitive, and this started way back on Windows XP where Microsoft increasingly made UI design decisions based on aesthetics and not workflow. It has progressively gotten worse over the Windows releases since and is an utter travesty in Windows 10 that makes it unbearable to work with. When you have to fight with the UI to get things done, there's a glaring design fault with it.

- The OS itself is malware. You can't have missed when installing Windows 10 the first time how hard Microsoft pushed you to creating an "Online Account" and hiding the normal local account creation on the bottom left of the screen in a tiny font that's almost the same color as the background? And the fact they still incessantly nag you to create an online account in later steps in setup. They want all of your data stored on their servers. Then there's the page of options to turn the various bits of tracking off, this is only scratching the surface of how much Microsoft data mines your machine in the background. To fully block them from collecting metrics on your machine, you need an external security appliance which can filter hosts, because as users have discovered, Microsoft ignores the hosts file on the local machine for many of their services.

- Microsoft's disgusting practice of creating recommended updates for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 that will automatically force update your machine to Windows 10 without your consent. And not only did they create one update, they created dozens of them because users became aware of the updates and started blocking them. This was a year of hell for IT people around the globe where we had to deal with bricked machines due to the update process failing and causing massive data loss. It also caused businesses with very expensive licensed software to have problems with the software no longer working due to the license being tied to the hardware configuration and also not working on Windows 10.

- The fact that you're not allowed to control which updates AND drivers get installed on your machine via Windows Update, and the fact that there is no official method to turn updates off. This has lead to a perpetual state of disaster due to Microsoft flying by the seat of their pants. Microsoft has stopped properly vetting updates and instead relies on the public at large to test their code for them, as shown by how disastrous each one of their major feature updates have been. Just look at how many times the October update was reascended and re-released in various forms because it kept bricking machines and deleting user data.

And I'll stop here because I've made my point. Windows 10 is not a good operating system, and I don't foresee it ever being a good operating system as long as Microsoft continues with the "Windows as a Service" model.

Blog Entries

Right, can we just stop with the "Why Windows 10 sucks" vs "Why Windows 10 is the greatest" conversations? They seem to be popping up all over the place. The OP was just telling us that there is a path for a free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7. Take it or leave it as you will.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    The underlying OS itself is more stable than Win7 or 8, more compatible with legacy software (hell, MechWarrior:Mercenaries runs in 3dfx mode with dgVoodoo... the Audio glitches are gone in MechWarrior 3, (all the BattleTech/MechWarrior games are notoriously garbage from a coding perspective), I've found it the best for backwards compatibility of all the versions to come along. It also seems to be LESS resource hungry, leaving me wondering just what the blazes people who claim to have problems have done to screw it up...

Though most of the time people have problems it's because of "Value added crapware" from the manufacturer of their computer. Hence why I NEVER use any install disks that come with a system -- which in Win10's case is nice since you can download and make as many install copies as you like.
    Ohh! I haven't played Mech Warrior 3 in years. I'll have to give that a try in Win10!

As far as installations go, I always do a clean install whenever I can (unless you know the vendor you got it from and he doesn't put any crapware on it to begin with ;P )
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Tez, sorry to be so dense today--it must be springtime (here, anyway).

Why on earth would I want to swap my Win7 for Win10?
    LOL. You might not want to Chuck, but I wanted to. Horses for courses.

I've been using Windows 10 on two other machines at home, so I've become familiar with it. For what I do (Word processing, website tweaking, imagery, internet communication, learning Python (why not!) and running emulators) it seems to work just fine once you clean up the crapware. The rational was:

• It's faster than Windows 7 (at least on my old hardware)
    • Windows 7 will soon be unsupported.
    • If I could upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free now that the core of the product (sorry service) is now fairly mature, I don't see too many downsides.

I've got Vware virtual machines on a Win 10 box running everything from Win 7 down to Ms-DOS 2.1. I've also got REAL machines (not internet connected) running MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 7. I also have a seldom used laptop running Windows 7 (Enterprise edition so no free upgrade with that).

With the above, I'm covered if I need to run legacy software.

Interestingly Windows 10 seems to check (at least some) of the installed programs during the upgrade for compatibility. It did tell me my Virtual PC 2007 was not compatible. No worries though, I have alternatives.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Blog Entries

Okay, thanks Tez. I use Linux for day-to-day, so Win10 has less appeal to me. I've got a Win7 system for the occasional test and XP on VirtualBox sessions, but haven't found anything yet that absolutely requires Win10.

I tried it on a machine I hadn't upgraded earlier and it worked. Now that it has a valid Win10 license in the cloud, I'll revert to Windows 7, and may set it up as a dual boot system. I don't hate Windows 10, but the use of a Microsoft account and a limit of 10 machines for an account for apps and sync is an unneeded limitation of the platform.

Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    I've got Vware virtual machines
    I've had a lot of problems with vmWare in the past. It sinks its tendrils too deep into the host OS, sucking down resources even when not running. It's part of why I've favored [s]Sun[/s] Oracle VirtualBox.

Though a bigger reason I favor it is that it provides better support for OSX, which I need to run for testing Safari since I do web development... and there's a snowballs chance in hell of my using OSX as my native OS given the UI is pretty much crippleware from an interface, multitasking, and even font rendering standpoint.

But then I'm VERY sensitive to poor font rendering -- the big reason I consider Linux a tinkertoy as a desktop OS, as freetype still kerns text like a teenager given bath salts when they thought they were getting molly. Whilst you can enable the 'forbidden' codebase to make it form glyphs properly, it d oes nothin g to ad ress th e fac t it space es lett er s ap art so poo rl y.

Seriously, open up Libreoffice, set the font to 12pt Arial, Put the word "spacing" on 12 lines in a row, and add one more space at the beginning of each line than the previous one... and watch the letter "i" dance around like a mexican jumping bean, until it literally be spacin g. It is incapable of even rendering the same bloody word identically at the same font size on the same page, the kerning actually depending not on the word, but how far from the left edge of the screen it is. (hurr-durrz)

But for my ragging on OSX, at least it has (or should I say had?) flawless out of box ASIO support and the best program installation and de-installation of any OS.

All the various OS suck, just in different ways. Depends on the task at hand and how much you can stomach.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM