Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Windows 10 still free for Windows 7 users!

Re. the 'spacing' test. Mine doesn't look like the image posted at all. It's nearly perfect - if I look *very* closely I can see that the distance between 's' and 'p' is a *tiny* bit closer on some of them. But not like in your image. And if I print it, which I just did, the print is absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    Quick question following on from the conversation. Does this mean I can install a Linux distro on a Win 10 machine using VirtualBox? I've never considered doing this, but might be useful for getting some exposure to Linux.
    If you can run the OS native, the majority of the time it will run in a VM. Linux, Windows, hackintosh OSX, plain jane DOS, BeOS, Haiku, even relics like CP/M-86.

How well it runs depends on the OS and what hardware it wants or expects. Video drivers are often an issue, and you have to remember that as a VM you're not getting anywhere near full system speed since video, audio, networking, and even hard-drives ARE emulated. You can often get speedups when there are actual drivers for the VM available, but typically those only exists for Win XP/newer and Linux. You want video performance good enough to do Win98 only software you're typically SOL. OSX is probably the worst for this, being agonizingly and painfully slow.

I generally have to run Linux and OSX in browser windows as a web developer for testing. There is no windows native Safari, Firefox on OSX actually renders pages differently than it does on Win/Lin, not all OS have the same default or even available fonts, different webfonts render differently across different rendering engines, etc, etc.

It's also really handy since as I'm running my websites of a "no handholding" VPS where all they provide is a baseline copy of Linux with nothing more than SSH shell access, I'm able to create an identically configured server installation for testing in a local VM before I implement the same thing on the server.

In that way it's a great way to get your feet wet with an unfamiliar OS without having to reboot. It's also mad excellent for doing system level programming since if you screw up and things go bits-up face-down it's a lot easier to reboot it, restore a previous memory status or disk image, and keep going.

Much less the simple fact it can be used as a sandbox wherein you can evaluate less safe stuff -- like viruses or deep web investigation -- without risk to your host OS installation.

SO bloody useful for so many things.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It's not free though.

You're trading a Windows 7 license for a Windows 10 license.
    What happens if you install this (Windows 10) on a different machine altogether?

Does it break the Windows 7 install on the other machine that you used the license from to install the Windows 10 and if so, how is it broken?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I don't know that the Win7 is broken, unless that's something very new. While the original free upgrade was in effect, I upgraded a computer to Win10Pro. A few months later, I installed the Win7Pro onto another computer, and both are running fine.

After I saw this post, I did an upgrade install of Win10Pro over Win7Pro. Once the upgrade was complete and Win10 showed as activated, I wiped it, restored the Win7Pro from a backup, then did a clean install of Win10Pro to have a dual-boot system. Both Win7 and Win10 show as activated.

Blog Entries

I've mention this before; I have a Windows 7 Home (3 Pack) and they were used to jump into W8 and eventually W10. I can still load and run W7 with the original key (never tried again with W8/W8.1). You can still download W10 from MS, in some form, and find a legal key on Ebay or somewhere. From what I've recently read, this is the last go-around for a MS operating system, as they anticipate marketing various upgrades, patches, and security whatever's.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Both Win7 and Win10 show as activated.
    That means you're still able to connect to Windows Update on both 7 and 10 normally, right?

So basically, you haven't traded your 7 license for a 10 only license -- you've got two licensed versions (7 & 10) simultaneously.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That means you're still able to connect to Windows Update on both 7 and 10 normally, right?

So basically, you haven't traded your 7 license for a 10 only license -- you've got two licensed versions (7 & 10) simultaneously.
    Yes to the first. Apparently so for the second.