Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted : 1992 Non-Yellowed Dos PC (System Unit, Monitor etc)

Blog Entries

I have a 386dx/33 big brand name that looked new the last I seen it, same with the keyboard. I would have snagged the monitor as well but it was dead (it looked mint as well).

So while you can find some units still in mint condition it would be hard to get one without spending a decent amount of money.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I had some beige plastic things from that era that I thought hadn't discoloured. But compared to other similar items it became clear that whilst they hadn't turned brown like some things, they were clearly not the same beige that they were when they came out of the mould. Most of them did end up turning orange or brown after a few years of cold, dry, dark storage.

If it is made out of the beige ABS plastic that was common during that era, you can use sunlight and hydrogen peroxide to bleach it back to new. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide is even available in paste form at salons, volume 40, if you dont want to disassemble. Can just be brushed on. I've used nothing but hydrogen peroxide and sun with great success.