Specs
    i5 3570K
    16GB RAM
    GeForce 1050
    1TB HDD
    Blu-Ray Burner
    Looking for $400

Blog Entries

I am not sure I'd call that high end, though the price is reasonable for those specs IMO. Which generation is the i5? What motherboard? Does it come with a fully up to date OS (allright, that was a dig meant as a joke...).

Do you have any pictures of it to share?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I am not sure I'd call that high end
    Hey, this is a vintage forum, high end is relative... It's more high end then my main PC.

Does it come with a fully up to date OS (allright, that was a dig meant as a joke...).
    Windows 10 or Windows 7, because.. ya know... Also, hopefully it doesn't have some of that Ransomware on it! I kid...

I have nothing to contribute but it seems like a decent price for those specs.
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

I am not sure I'd call that high end, though the price is reasonable for those specs IMO. Which generation is the i5? What motherboard? Does it come with a fully up to date OS (allright, that was a dig meant as a joke...).

Do you have any pictures of it to share?
    A 3570K is Ivy Bridge
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I am not sure I'd call that high end
    I'm not sure I'd call it a gaming PC with a GTX 1050 in it -- the card that is basically GTX in name only -- "high end".

Though that really depends on WHICH 1050. Hopefully it's one of the ones with GDDR instead of the cheap one with just plain DDR that performs worse than a GTS 8400 from a decade ago. At least the GDDR4 version is on par with a GTX 770.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Though that really depends on WHICH 1050. Hopefully it's one of the ones with GDDR instead of the cheap one with just plain DDR that performs worse than a GTS 8400 from a decade ago. At least the GDDR4 version is on par with a GTX 770.
    The only Geforce 10 series card that has a DDR4 version is the GT1030.

There are two models of the 1050, the older 2 GB model and the newer 3 GB model. Both use GDDR5, but both have significant differences in their specs.

The core config of the 2 GB model is 640:40:32, vs the 3 GB as 768:48:32. The 3 GB model has a smaller L2 cache of 768k (vs 1 MB of the 2 GB) and a slightly higher core clock of 1392 vs 1354 MHz of the 2 GB model.

The biggest and most important difference is the memory bus width. The 2 GB version has a 128 bit bus, while the 3 GB only has a 96 bit memory bus, which results in a 25% bandwidth loss. What would otherwise be a much better card is crippled by the bandwidth constriction. This causes a mixed bag in terms of performance because games that rely heavily on memory bandwidth will perform worse on the 3 GB card, while games that prefer more memory will run better on the 3 GB card.

In any case, this machine is at best a lower midrange gaming PC, nowhere near high-end. The pricing is in the realm of acceptable, but the full sysem specs need to be revealed to make that determination. The manufacturer of every part should be revealed, along with the model numbers.

I built what I could afford at the time. The processor was $25 the board was free and everything else bought on credit cards

Blog Entries

I envy you--most of what I have are low- to middle-end gamey PCs...

An i5-3570k is not high end, but midrange. My laptop's i7-3740qm is higher end than that.

EDIT: My laptop is a Dell Precision M6700 with 24GB, 500GB mSATA SSD, two 1TB HGST 7200 RPM HD's, 17 inch screen, and nvidia Quadro high midrange video, K5000m.
    Last edited by lowen; March 30th, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!