Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore 386DX-33C

Default Commodore 386DX-33C

I received some pics of this machine from Canada, eh?

Commodore 386DX-33C

IMG_7811.jpgIMG_7815.jpgIMG_7816.jpgIMG_7818.jpgIMG_7821.jpgIMG_7824.jpg

AT keyboard and PS/2 (presumably) mouse? Never seen that combination before!

So how much RAM? 2MB?, 8MB?, 32MB? Not a bad looking little low-profile system, but I'd replace the 5 1/4" drive with a CD-ROM and go for a larger HDD to play some DOS Games. 143MB (formatted) isn't a lot to work with (at least now)...

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    So how much RAM? 2MB?, 8MB?, 32MB? Not a bad looking little low-profile system, but I'd replace the 5 1/4" drive with a CD-ROM and go for a larger HDD to play some DOS Games. 143MB (formatted) isn't a lot to work with (at least now)...
    Looks like a really nice one. Good motherboard, and an SB 2.0. Probably 8MB.

I'd keep the 5.25" drive. CD-ROM drives were pretty uncommon on 386s. IF you want one, use a back pack drive, or a SCSI card with an external device.
    The drives are original to the machine with matching bezels. It's best not to screw with that.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    It wasn't at all uncommon on Taiwanese machines. I think Tandy had one too.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    It wasn't at all uncommon on Taiwanese machines. I think Tandy had one too.
    I had an Osicom 286 with a WD286-WDM20 motherboard that had that as well as Paradise EGA and serial/parallel, all on the motherboard. The only card I had in that machine was a modem.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I just sold a couple of Amptron PRM-PRO1000 Socket 8 motherboards with that AT-PS/2 combo port configuration in back. The pain is finding an I/O backplate for something like that. I have AT, old style in-line ATX and ATX I/O backplates, but nothing for this.

Amptron PRM-PRO1000 Socket 8 Mobo 2.jpgAmptron PRM-PRO1000 Socket 8 Mobo.jpg

Sometimes you get lucky with a case like this old Gateway 2000 P5-90 which allows you to unscrew a metal plate from the back where the PS/2 keyboard & mouse ports are and that AT-PS/2 port config would actually fit nicely.

Gateway 2000 P5-90 Front.jpgGateway 2000 P5-90 Back.jpg
    Last edited by liqmat; March 29th, 2019 at 07:30 AM.

It was a somewhat common arrangement in the mid 90s. Often the PS/2 mouse port was covered up because the case didn't have a hole for it and you had to resort to using a serial mouse.