Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest Tandy Problems

Every time I've used use!umbs.sys I've had to use debug and specify my umb memory addresses myself.

http://annex.retroarchive.org/cdrom/...S/USE!UMBS.DOC

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Every time I've used use!umbs.sys I've had to use debug and specify my umb memory addresses myself.

http://annex.retroarchive.org/cdrom/...S/USE!UMBS.DOC
    Look as I said, I want to better utilize my real EMS Memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Look as I said, I want to better utilize my real EMS Memory.
    I guess I'm confused by what you mean when you say "Better utilize my real EMS memory".

Not a lot of apps that will run on a Tandy 286 system will really benefit at all from EMS. The only real use I've gotten out of it myself has been with dosshell and DR-DOS taskmgr multitasking. I dont' think anything will provide XMS memory on a Tandy 286.

If you want to free up some of your 640k ram, you'll need to configure the 64kb EMS window as an upper memory block and load your mouse driver/etc. into that upper memory block.

If you have MS-DOS installed locally, I would remove your NIC and test the EMS card extensively.

First, remove the LTEMM.sys driver completely. Run the testumbs.exe from the use!umbs package and verify that it sees the 64kb page window at the address you expect.

Install LTEMM.sys driver, and run DOSSHELL and configure it for task switching and use EMS memory, and run three or four apps side-by-side, including some simple CGA games, see if you have a stable system.

Reinstall the NIC, and run the above tests again, and see if behaviour is different.

I have a Tandy 1000TL with a LoTech 2MB EMS card installed and it seems to work fine. I have it configured with boot options to either use EMS, or use the 64kb page window as an upper memory block. When I need EMS it boots with the LTEMM.SYS driver loaded and I have about 500kb of lower memory + 2mb EMS memory. When I need maximum 640k memory I reboot into the upper memory block configuration, where use!umbs.sys is loaded and I have mouse and NIC driver loaded into upper memory block giving me about 610kb DOS memory and zero EMS memory.

Zombie, perhaps I wasn't clear before - EMS can only be used by software written specifically for it.

Some of the addresses used by USE!UMBS.SYS are occupied by Tandy Rom DOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    With use!umbs.sys you're supposed to hexedit your own addresses into it, aren't you?
    That's correct for the original version (2.0) written by Marco van Zwetselaar but the post I linked to earlier has an attachment containing the original as well as versions 2.1 and 2.2 - both written (by me) to use command line parameters in config.sys instead. There are other improvements of course - it's all listed in the source files which are included as well.

So to use a 64 KB EMS frame at D000h (assuming that's where it is) this is the command line you would need to add to config.sys;
    Code:
    DEVICE=USE!UMBS.SYS D000-E000
    Any additional ranges can be added to the command line in any order. And you obviously can't load the EMS driver if you use the EMS frame as an UMB.

Hope this helps!
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    That's correct for the original version (2.0) written by Marco van Zwetselaar but the post I linked to earlier has an attachment containing the original as well as versions 2.1 and 2.2 - both written (by me) to use command line parameters in config.sys instead. There are other improvements of course - it's all listed in the source files which are included as well.
    Fantastic!

Default BioMeanace and PC-Pine

It appears that the BioMenace lockups may be related to STACKS on the Tandy. As no other game seems to exhibit the symptoms of BioMenace.
    PC-Pine still locks up when the ltemm.exe driver is loaded. If it is not loaded, PC-Pine is stable. No other application suffers from the sypmtom as PC-Pine:

Tested:
    Bobcat (Lynx) - works fine
    XFS 191 - works fine.
    ftp - works fine.
    Aracheo IRC - works fine.
    PC-Pine - Reboots.

Wolf3D - Is a slide show, but can see the EMS.
    Biomenace - Appears to see the EMS, with network card active, seems to think it can see 64 KB XMS.
    MSD - Sees 640 KB EMS. 64 K XMS when Network Card Packet Driver is loaded, 2 MB EMS.

I don't have Windows 3.0 installed. I don't know if Deskmate can see EMS at all.
    Checkit also seems to believe there is XMS when the Network card is active.

PCConfig tends to crash at 0264. (Runtime error) with ltemm loaded but Network card not loaded. 0264 is the base address for EMS card
    Wolf3D seems to be the only game that can conclusively see the EMS.
    BioMenace sees 64 K of non-existent XMS.
    MSD sees 64 K of non-existent XMS. (Network card Disabled)
    Checkit sees 64 K of non-existent XMS when Network Card is loaded only. Otherwise just the Conventional and EMS.

All other games seem to function normally with no crashes.
    I don't know how to configure Dosshell to use EMS.
    Last edited by Zombie; April 25th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

PCConfig tends to crash at 0264. (Runtime error) with ltemm loaded but Network card not loaded. 0264 is the base address for EMS card
    Checkit sees 64 K of non-existent XMS when Network Card is loaded only. Otherwise just the Conventional and EMS.

The EMS Card uses D000 to E000
    With the network card enabled, it registers a small UMB around 8K in size at CE00 to D000 - this is actually the network card.
    128K of VGA Video Ram from A000 to C000
    C000 to C600 I believe to be the VGA Card's Rom
    E000 to F000 has a Rom (Tandy Rom DOS?)
    F000 to F200 has a Rom
    Network card has a base address of 0x280
    EMS card has a base address 0x264

The EMS Card uses D000 to E000
    With the network card enabled, it registers a small UMB around 8K in size at CE00 to D000 - this is actually the network card.
    128K of VGA Video Ram from A000 to C000
    C000 to C600 I believe to be the VGA Card's Rom
    E000 to F000 has a Rom (Tandy Rom DOS?)
    F000 to F200 has a Rom
    Network card has a base address of 0x280
    EMS card has a base address 0x264
    I'll give pcpine a shot. I wasn't aware it used ems; are you using a specific command line to launch it?

To the best of my knowlege, PC-Pine does not use EMS.
    If the EMS driver (ltemm.exe) is not loaded, PC-Pine will start and run.
    I do not use any command line parameters.
    P-Pine 3.96 communicates with an internal, LAN Dovecot server setup to offer unencrypted IMAP4 to LAN Nodes only behind a NAT.