Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PET 2001-4 restoration

Default PET 2001-4 restoration

I recently picked up a PET 2001-4 in pretty rough shape. I am in the process of restoring it. I have some pics of the restoration in progress and will post them once I can resize them.

Since the case was very rusty, I sent it out for sandblasting and powder coating. Now I got it back, and I find that holes in the CRT mounting tabs don't quite match the holes in the CRT supports on the CRT case. I doubt that the sandblasting and powder coating could have affected the shape of the case, and nothing looks warped. I am not keen on bending the tabs on the CRT. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Sandblasting can certainly distort sheet metal, especially if it was pre-stressed. I'm not certain but I expect powder coating can too.

DFNR can you post some photos of before and after? Also where on earth did you find a 2001-4? Does it even say 2001-4 on the label? I know these were a pretty limited run.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Sandblasting can certainly distort sheet metal, especially if it was pre-stressed. I'm not certain but I expect powder coating can too.
    Perhaps that's what happened. If that's the case, I will not feel too bad about trying to bend the mounts (on the case) a little to line up all the holes. I doubt the mounts themselves got bent, but if the monitor case warped a bit, that might get them out of alignment. It doesn't look warped, but I can always test for flatness with a straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    DFNR can you post some photos of before and after? Also where on earth did you find a 2001-4? Does it even say 2001-4 on the label? I know these were a pretty limited run.
    I do have some photos, and will try to post them this weekend. I got this and a (nonworking) Apple II+ from a local gentleman who wanted to find a good home for them. He bought the PET when it first came out, and used it (a lot from the wear on the keyboard) until he bought the Apple II++ in 1979.

It says 2001-4 on the sticker, but he upgraded it to 8K. He also swapped out the Version 1 ROMs for Version 2(or 3?), but he kept the original ROMs. There is an inspection (or test) sticker on the main board dated April 1977. which I think is before the official release date, so it must be an early one.

This one has a black bezel and a metal badge with gold lettering and a blue and red Commodore logo.

Quote Originally Posted by dfnr2 View Post
    I got this and a (nonworking) Apple II+ from a local gentleman who wanted to find a good home for them. He bought the PET when it first came out, and used it (a lot from the wear on the keyboard) until he bought the Apple II++ in 1979.
    I've already repaired the power supply from the Apple II, just before a shelf broke and a bunch of heavy computers fell on the Apple II. The Apple seems to be relatively unharmed other then a few broken key stems. The power supply case, which was open, got badly bent up, but I was able to bend it back into roughly right angles, to the point where the screws can hold the case together. The main board needs some repairs though, and I haven't gotten into it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dfnr2 View Post
    I do have some photos, and will try to post them this weekend. I got this and a (nonworking) Apple II+ from a local gentleman who wanted to find a good home for them. He bought the PET when it first came out, and used it (a lot from the wear on the keyboard) until he bought the Apple II++ in 1979.

It says 2001-4 on the sticker, but he upgraded it to 8K. He also swapped out the Version 1 ROMs for Version 2(or 3?), but he kept the original ROMs. There is an inspection (or test) sticker on the main board dated April 1977. which I think is before the official release date, so it must be an early one.

This one has a black bezel and a metal badge with gold lettering and a blue and red Commodore logo.
    wow that's a very good find indeed! Post a picture of the ROMs where the codes are visible please. I've never seen a real Basic 1 2001 (the broken-broken Basic), all 2001s I've seen (including mine) have the Basic patched-1 (I call it 2 or the broken Basic), they have the -19 6540 ROM as upgrade. Also I've never seen a real 2001-4, but my 2001-8 became effectively a -4 after half of the original 6550s failed...

Frank IZ8DWF

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    wow that's a very good find indeed! Post a picture of the ROMs where the codes are visible please. I've never seen a real Basic 1 2001 (the broken-broken Basic), all 2001s I've seen (including mine) have the Basic patched-1 (I call it 2 or the broken Basic), they have the -19 6540 ROM as upgrade. Also I've never seen a real 2001-4, but my 2001-8 became effectively a -4 after half of the original 6550s failed...

Frank IZ8DWF
    Pretty sure my 2001-8 came with the orginal basic 1 ROM

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Pretty sure my 2001-8 came with the orginal basic 1 ROM
    6540-011? Please picture!

Frank

Here's the original ROM set:

roms.jpg

They are 6540's. The whole set seems to be designated 901447-xx, which looks like a Commodore internal part number. I suppose Signetics was a second source.

Dave
    Last edited by dfnr2; March 30th, 2019 at 03:42 PM.