Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PET 2001-4 restoration

@OP

If your Apple uses Alps key switches (likely), get in touch with me. I have a handful of NOS replacements available.
    Auf wiedersehen, schweinhund!

Last week I took apart the cassette recorder. Both belts were loose, and the gears were gummed up, so nothing would move. The inside was pretty dirty. I was not sure if it was safe to clean this in an ultrasonic bath, so I soaked the whole mechanism in isopropanol and cleaned out all the nooks an crannies as well as I could with q-tips, a soft toothbrush, and wood toothpicks. I got it all back together with the new belts and did my best to apply lithium grease to the moving parts. It works, but seems a bit halting, and a bit screechy. I was able to write and read a program to an old cassette, but got a bit error. I suspect it's the old cassette (This cassette was in the PET when I received it, but the PET could not find anything on either side.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for making sure the mechanism is properly lubed up so it's not quite so shaky and screechy?

Cheers,

Dave

Do you have a close up of the stickers on the logic board? What's the date written on the sticker just above the 0355?
    FYI, the hand written number (0355) is a production tracking number for testing and re-work. It is effectively a serial number of the board.
    The stickers, or at least one of them, is from production testing. It should have the date the board was tested and the initials of the tech who did the testing.
    This will tell you the production date of the board.

The date the board was made is not necessarily related to the date the chassis was made. The chassis was made in Canada and shipped to Santa Clara for assembly. Serial numbers were (appear to have been) applied out of order so there's no logic to the sequence of numbers and whole blocks of numbers seem to have been skipped. Boards may also have been swapped when units were sent in for repair.
    2001-4 are exceedingly rare. I'm only aware of one other.

Quote Originally Posted by dfnr2 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for making sure the mechanism is properly lubed up so it's not quite so shaky and screechy?
    Screechy and 'halting' sounds like the cassette; try a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    Those are the basic 2 upgrade. They are 2532 kind of ROMs but the editor that's still a 2316. They are usually found in the 2001N dynamic boards, but can be used in place of the lower 2316s in the 2001 boards that used that kind of ROMs
    Frank
    Right; the 4K BASIC2 ROMs are 901465-01, 02 and 03 with 901447-24 2K CG (PET; CBM=901474-01

Looks like the original set is indeed the original BASIC 1 set; the original $C000-$C7FF ROM was 901447-01 AKA 6540-011 (2316=901439-01), upgraded to 901447-09/6540-019/901439-09.

IIRC the character generator (6540-010) was also updated frrm 901447-08 to 901447-10

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Do you have a close up of the stickers on the logic board? What's the date written on the sticker just above the 0355?
    FYI, the hand written number (0355) is a production tracking number for testing and re-work. It is effectively a serial number of the board.
    The stickers, or at least one of them, is from production testing. It should have the date the board was tested and the initials of the tech who did the testing.
    This will tell you the production date of the board.

The date the board was made is not necessarily related to the date the chassis was made. The chassis was made in Canada and shipped to Santa Clara for assembly. Serial numbers were (appear to have been) applied out of order so there's no logic to the sequence of numbers and whole blocks of numbers seem to have been skipped. Boards may also have been swapped when units were sent in for repair.
    2001-4 are exceedingly rare. I'm only aware of one other.
    I've attached a photo of the inspection stickers. One sticker indicates a date of 4/8/77. It has a number 0004, the significance of which I can't tell. The other sticker indicates another test date of 11-17, presumably also 1977.

@snuci: To answer your questions,

1) Both sides of the PCB have a solder mask.
    2) The lid has what I would call a kickstand. Photo is attached.
    3) The original paint had a very subtle, fine texture.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

It has a number 0004, the significance of which I can't tell.
    Or maybe 00041, or 000H? hard to tell.

@snuci: To answer your questions,

1) Both sides of the PCB have a solder mask.
    2) The lid has what I would call a kickstand. Photo is attached.
    3) The original paint had a very subtle, fine texture.
    Thanks Dave. Hutch and I are trying to figure out the early PET timeline as there appears to be some mis-information on what came first and when. But this is confusing even given anomalies like repairs that could have interchanged old vs new parts. As an example, you have chassis serial number 0010038 (2001-4) and I have 0010051 (2001-8 ) and mine appears to have gone out a few months before yours as my final motherboard testing sticker is on September 11, 1977. I also have ,multiple stickers but could not make out the one underneath. My PET has an early folding kickstand yet yours has the later rod-based kickstand. It is confusing but we are hoping to try to sort this out or at least develop a theory (probably should be a new thread).

I hope you don't mind me using your pictures. We are gathering pictures to try to sort this out, hence the questions.

Thanks again for the info and pictures. I appreciate it.
    Santo