Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help with real iron, I need the 486 and first Pentium systems

Default Please help with real iron, I need the 486 and first Pentium systems

I am gathering data for my project. I need data from the 80486 based systems below 50 MHz. Above all, I really want to get data from the first 486 @16-25 MHz. I am also seeking data from the first Pentiums below 90 MHz. I attach a zipped COM-file for DOS (it and its sources are also available the project page). I gather data for runs with 100, 1000, and 3000 digits.
    Please help. Thanks.
    pi-pc386.zip

Quote Originally Posted by vol.litwr View Post
    I am gathering data for my project. I need data from the 80486 based systems below 50 MHz. Above all, I really want to get data from the first 486 @16-25 MHz. I am also seeking data from the first Pentiums below 90 MHz. I attach a zipped COM-file for DOS (it and its sources are also available the project page). I gather data for runs with 100, 1000, and 3000 digits.
    Please help. Thanks.
    pi-pc386.zip
    I've got a 486sx 33mhz and 25mhz, plus a PS/2e (I forget what 486 it has) I can try it on and my friend has a 60mhz Pentium if that would help

Blog Entries

Does this require an FPU?

Yeah, what Chuck said. I have a 486SX 20 that I can pop into a board.....
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

I am pretty sure the first 486s were the DX 25 and 33. Wikipedia reports a 20MHz version, but I think it might be an error. Anyone have proof?

As far as I know, the 16 and 20MHz parts were only available as SX chips, and those came along about a year and a half later. From what I remember, the 16MHz part was a special OEM part for Dell.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    I am pretty sure the first 486s were the DX 25 and 33. Wikipedia reports a 20MHz version, but I think it might be an error. Anyone have proof?

As far as I know, the 16 and 20MHz parts were only available as SX chips, and those came along about a year and a half later. From what I remember, the 16MHz part was a special OEM part for Dell.
    I've seen a 486DX/20 before, it was in the lab CPU drawer back when I was in high school. We had several oddball x86 chips like the i487DX, 486SX/2-66 and a Kingston Turbochip that ran at 200 MHz. We also had one 486SX/16, but I don't think anyone ever tried using it because it was so slow.

I can't tell you which speed grades came first, but the SX was released more than a year later than the original DX parts to compete with AMD's faster 386 chips.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I've got a 486sx 33mhz and 25mhz, plus a PS/2e (I forget what 486 it has) I can try it on and my friend has a 60mhz Pentium if that would help
    All this hardware is very interesting. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Does this require an FPU?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    Yeah, what Chuck said. I have a 486SX 20 that I can pop into a board.....
    Quite a rarity. But you need also to get 20 MHz or less clock frequency for it.
    Last edited by vol.litwr; April 1st, 2019 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries

I have some Intel 486 sx/2 chips and was wondering who the hell would buy those (must be an OEM thing).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

So what exactly do you need? The numbers for 100, 1000, and 3000 digits and the type of computer? Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have some Intel 486 sx/2 chips and was wondering who the hell would buy those (must be an OEM thing).
    I know Packard Bell used them but they were surface mount QFPs.