Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love comcast business clas internet but

Default I love comcast business clas internet but

The guy who installed me last night gave me my 5 static IP like i asked for but when I asked what my subnet mask was, he just wrote "/29" which Doesnt help me at all because I do not know IP slash notation. It is too difficult to do the math and I am too lazy to learn it. I called business tech support and after much back and forth over tech support still jjust providing the slash notation, they finally put me on hold for about 5 minutes and gave me my actual subnet mask in normal form. Just a thought for those of you who use that slash notation, not everyone, even network gurus like me, know how to figure that out. The math is just too difficult.

Reminds me of when In one of my NAVY schools they decided to teach us the mathematical theory of Subnetting. I immediately glazed over as I was familiar with the basis of subnetting and the thought of being able to do the mathematical routines in my head to gain the outcome seemed pointless.. still does.

I feel your pain.
    Never dealt with Comcast business class however their residential service was always terrible in my area; where they still hold a large monopoly.

((32 - slash value) ^ 2) - 2 is too difficult for engineers?

(Heck, I spent more time trying to figure out a good language-neutral ASCII notation for exponentiation than typing up the rest of that last sentence.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    ((32 - slash value) ^ 2) - 2 is too difficult for engineers?

(Heck, I spent more time trying to figure out a good language-neutral ASCII notation for exponentiation than typing up the rest of that last sentence.)
    Someones had his coffee...

VERAULT, I took a CISCO class in high school to get my cert and the binary - hex -decimal conversions and subnetting was my weak spots. math of any kind has always been difficult for me. my dad says that computers gave me a lazy brain. Im not sure if there is such a thing as that but meow meow I love strawberry donuts with strawberry millk. Anyways I found an iPhone App for calculating subnets. Comcast is awesome in my area. I am switching from residential service to busiess class for the static IP and the unlimited GB. plus business class routers are more configurable. Beats spending 300 on my own router.

Math was tough huh? I wasn't diagnosed with dyscalculia till later in life. Straight A's except c's and D's in math when I was young. Teachers called me lazy... turns out they were wrong.

Blog Entries

There are cheat sheets for the binary-challenged, you know

It isn't complicated. I've never given it a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMAT5170 View Post
    ... not everyone, even network gurus like me ...
    Me thinks that one is not a network guru if they can't do the math for the slash notation ...

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There are cheat sheets for the binary-challenged, you know

It isn't complicated. I've never given it a second thought.
    I'm dyslexic and struggle with math and even I know its not hard. There are alot of subnetting calcs and cheat sheet out there.
    But I do understand. Why they don't just give you the plain old sub net when so many don't know how subnetting works let alone what a / notation is.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I'd rather work in slash notation than dotted quad for subnet masks. Especially in a mixed IPv4/IPv6 environment.