Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Software for Imaging Old Drives on a New Computer

Default Software for Imaging Old Drives on a New Computer

I have an old IDE HDD with 210 MB capacity. I'd like to copy some of the files over to my new Windows 10 computer and be able to create a backup image of the hard drive and store it on my new computer. However, when I connect the hard drive to my IDE to USB converter (I am using a StarTech UNIDOCKU33 dock: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817707380) Windows 10 does not even recognize the device when it is connected. Is there some good software that should enable me to do this? Or do I need to change my hardware as well?

Blog Entries

I think it's called "Linux" and "dd" There are also Linux-based tools specifically for drive cloning, such as Clonezilla, which boot from a pen drive or CD.

Blog Entries

+1 for Clonezilla
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

If I recall correctly, those IDE to USB adapters don't support CHS-only drives, they require LBA (or it might be an ATA protocol revision compatiblity issue). A 210MB would be just a bit before that.

You might have better luck with IDE-SATA converters, just keep in mind some cheaper converters were so low quality they didn't even work right.

Blog Entries

IDE-SATA adapters generally are better than the reverse. Avoid the "dual personality" ones--I've never found any that don't have issues.

But bottom line, there's no real substitute for a "tweener" PC.

So, one, id connect the USB to ide directly to the computer, not though a dock. Second, go into Windows partition manager and make sure it sees it and it's not just showing up without a driver letter. Once you do get it working, win32 disk imager is a good way free easy way to clone just about anything, especially stuff that isn't fat file system (including things with no file system like SCSI2SD devices).
    -- Brian

Working Systems: Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA
    Project Systems: Amstrad PCW 8256, Kaypro 2/84 (Bad Chips: 81-194, 81-189).

Blog Entries

Clonezilla has the interesting feature of being able to resize partitions, if desired. Otherwise, plain old dd will do a sector-for-sector copy.

But the point is being made that a non-LBA drive may not be recognized by a USB adapter. I think that's a valid consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    But bottom line, there's no real substitute for a "tweener" PC.
    I agree absolutely. Other methods are not nearly as reliable or straight forward.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Consider that non-LBA capable drives went out of fashion about, what, 25 years ago? (The capability of supporting CHS addressing was kept for quite a few more years, but that's not my point. Besides, for most IDE drives, except for the very early ones, it's a convenient fiction, having nothing to do with actual drive geometry.)

Now consider that the USB mass-storage device model is very similar to that of SCSI--that is, it's strictly LBA.

So, if you were writing the firmware for an IDE-to-USB adapter, would you bother adding the code for CHS-only drives?

If so, why?

Would an older (pre Symantec) version of Ghost work?
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3