Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Software for Imaging Old Drives on a New Computer

Blog Entries

If the USB adapter won't allow you to access the drive, no software will help.

Perhaps an old parallel-to-IDE adapter would work, but then you'd have to have a parallel port.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If I recall correctly, those IDE to USB adapters don't support CHS-only drives, they require LBA (or it might be an ATA protocol revision compatiblity issue). A 210MB would be just a bit before that.

You might have better luck with IDE-SATA converters, just keep in mind some cheaper converters were so low quality they didn't even work right.
    Does anyone know of a IDE-SATA converter that has been confirmed to work with old CHS drives? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by twillkickers View Post
    Does anyone know of a IDE-SATA converter that has been confirmed to work with old CHS drives? Thank you!
    It's not quite that, but I bought a PCI-X slot card with two SATA and a single IDE port that I use under Window 7. It required a driver, but has recognized every old IDE drive I have connected to it. I just pulled it and noticed there is no brand or model on this card or the driver disk. I have discarded the package it came in. I bought this one at Fry's, but Newegg has one that is very similar, but not exactly the same as the one I have.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA85V3DZ3726

Thank you! For the record, could you tell me the model number and brand of the one you bought at Fry's as well?

You could simply give someone this drive to get everything off of it for you.

Unfortunately your location is so vague that...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    I just pulled it and noticed there is no brand or model on this card or the driver disk. I have discarded the package it came in. I bought this one at Fry's...
    Quote Originally Posted by twillkickers View Post
    Thank you! For the record, could you tell me the model number and brand of the one you bought at Fry's as well?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sorry for my slip up that Stone so kindly pointed out. I was a bit tired this morning when reading your reply.

As an aside, if anyone has an idea on where I could get a card that would work with both CHS drives and regular PCI or PCI-e, that would be wonderful as well!

My apologies. I started my post before I realized I wasn't going to find a way to identify my card. It has "GEN-115 E330731 94V-0" printed on the card, but when I search those terms I just get results for similar cards. My card sports a Marvell 88SE9128 Chipset. On bootup the card displays "Marvel 88SEXXX Adapter".

No problem, thanks for the info! I may try a PCI-e equivalent with the 88SE9128 chipset and see if that works. I am thinking about this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-eSATA...t/382305248738. Once I've tried it out I'll report back and let everyone know how it went!

Miracle of miracles, I found the packaging for the card I have. It's a Bytecc PCI Express Controller, Part Number BT-PES322i. I tested a 170meg Western Digital drive just recently.