Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some suggestions on a webcam

Blog Entries

Default Need some suggestions on a webcam

I've got a need for a web cam (well, actually a still photo USB-connected camera) for one of my projects.

I'm getting bogged down in marketing glarf such as "High Definition: 12.0M pixels/Dynamic Resolution: 640 x 480". Huh? Whuzzat mean?

I need a fairly wide-angle camera that can be mounted no more than 24" above the subject and it should cover no less than a 12"x12" area. Color is nice but doesn't have to be insanely deep. And something that will allow me to take photos with a higher resolution that 640x480.

And a permanent (i.e. tripod mount) is a big plus.

Do any of you photo-cognoscenti have any suggestions on what to look for?

Why am I think Sony Digital Mavica?
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

If you're shooting stills why do you need a webcam?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Well, I have been using an old Canon PowerShot A530. But it's strictly shoot-to-SD, which involves an extra step. I'd rather just have it controlled by the computer and forget about the SD fumbling.

Most cameras plug directly into USB to transfer pics.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Yes, still cameras don't allow control over USB, whereas a webcam does. My ancient A530, for example, will mount the SD card as a storage device, which is fine. But the camera still requires batteries or a power supply and I have to be at the camera to push the shutter button.

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist...

Go into a bit more detail of what you're looking to do. Maybe a lot more detail would be even better.

Blog Entries

I'm essentially setting up a stand for recording external images of media--i.e. labels, etc. Said images go with the data actually contained on the images. Here's a sample:

Get the general idea? Many times the writing on the label has degraded to the point where it isn't readable, but the smudges might give a hint to what's really there.

Chuck,

I bow down before you in awe just that you have this tape and what it represents, let alone the data on the tape itself...
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Axis security cameras will do this. The ones I have are unsuitable due to low resolution, but they are fifteen years old. I assume they have newer ones with better resolution.