Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple II A2S1-2190 on Ebay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    The mother board clearly says 1979. Obviously, not all that early. At $450 you'd have been had.
    In any case, it is not sold until someone actually pays for it and decides to keep it. When they find that it is just the case and keyboard they might even get their money back.
    Dwight
    Oh for sure the board is not original. It's an 820-0044-D (I think that's RFI). But I do think some people out there might be motivated to spend that kind of cash for something like that. My tracker shows Rev 0s in that serial range regularly hit $5k. We know a dark green slotted Rev 0 board by itself went for $1200 (I bid in that auction). So, if you're playing the long game - $1136 + $1200 + Lid ($200?) + PSU ($100?) = still way ahead of the game.

I thought about taking his offer of $400-450 but I had a hunch it'd go for more, and I just couldn't take advantage.

Corey or Mike might correct me, but I'm pretty sure that keyboard is highly collectible in its own right, even missing a key. I don't think that particular version is common even among Rev 0s.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Wow! $1136 for a keyboard and case pan. Insane. I could have had it for $450 but I thought, you're never going to make that whole again so why bother? Sheesh. Hope it wasn't one of the keyboard freaks that took it.
    The only original parts on that machine were the pan with the serial tag and the keyboard, possibly the outer case. Everything else was a replacement.. it had I think an RFI board in there, wrong psu, etc. But, the keyboard was the very earliest model... looks very much like the Datanetics some used with the Apple 1. That was probably worth some cash although I don't know how many of that model of keyboard were made with Rev 0 production.
    Four possibilities:

1) More money than God and doesn't care
    2) Has a Rev 0 board loose and this is the only chance he has to put it in a Rev 0 enclosure
    3) Is a keyboard nut who will rip the keyboard out and proudly disassemble and display it on deskthority
    4) Is an Apple-1 replica guy who had to have the closest thing to the Datanetics keyboard he could find
    Oh for sure the board is not original. It's an 820-0044-D (I think that's RFI). But I do think some people out there might be motivated to spend that kind of cash for something like that. My tracker shows Rev 0s in that serial range regularly hit $5k. We know a dark green slotted Rev 0 board by itself went for $1200 (I bid in that auction). So, if you're playing the long game - $1136 + $1200 + Lid ($200?) + PSU ($100?) = still way ahead of the game.

I thought about taking his offer of $400-450 but I had a hunch it'd go for more, and I just couldn't take advantage.

Corey or Mike might correct me, but I'm pretty sure that keyboard is highly collectible in its own right, even missing a key. I don't think that particular version is common even among Rev 0s.

As a mild keyboard enthusiast, I can assure you, neither that keyboard nor the Datanetics DC-50 keyswitch are even mildly sought after in the mechanical keyboard community. I should know, I just recently posted a Krown Porta-Printer on reddit with the DC-50 switches to no applause. In fact, the DC-50's become rather muddy over time despite being hermetically sealed, and their successor to whom they licensed this sealed diaphragm technology to, the Futaba MD series switches, can still be bought today in NOS condition. Sufficient to say, no one over at deskthority would pay money for these switches, let alone flaunt them zealously. The earliest keyboard that enjoys any amount of popularity is the M0110. If this keyboard is highly collectible, it must be with die hard apple collectors, because this fella does nothing for the mech crowd. If "Revision 0" stands to assume the "original Apple II / II plus" then all Rev 0 versions of the II plus came with Datanetics DC-50 switches. Both "Original versions" / Rev 0's of each respective line came with DC-50's.

No... this was definitely bought buy an apple fanboy with more money than sense. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly made this sell for so much. There are two Apple II+'s in my area that look identical to this one, same dark green motherboard, gold PSU, hi profile keyboard, two disk drives, lids, and monitors, and theyre both listed for $300 each. Pictures arent clear enough nor are the cards removed to identify the revision. Worth messaging them for pics of the motherboard or nah?

Further reading if you are so inclined
    Datanetics DC-50 - https://deskthority.net/wiki/Datanet...-Willegal-II-6
    Apple II/II plus revision timeline - http://www.willegal.net/appleii/early-a2-keyboards.htm

Blog Entries

Really? I've seen keyboard guys go for all kinds of lesser keyboards. Not $1000+ but still into hundreds.

The keyboard in this auction I think would be collectible on a variety of fronts.. it bears a strong resemblance to the non-Apple Datanetics unit that was used with the Apple 1. The Apple 1 guys will drop $500 on a SWTPC keyboard so I don't see much reason why they wouldnt drop more on Datanetics given the connection.

My figuring is someone may have a Rev 0 motherboard needing a home, in which case the odds of stumbling on a bare Rev 0 case with correct keyboard are quite low. Like I said, even if you pay $1200 for it you're still ahead of the game because complete Rev 0 apple 2s in that serial number range go for $5000+ all day long. If you have that and the motherboard and a spare silver PSU you're getting a Rev 0 on the cheap.