Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sata

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    In theory, yes.

In reality, no.

There are various chipsets which have SATA compatibility issues, one of the most notable is the VIA 8237. It has an integrated SATA 1 controller and is not compatible with SATA 2 or 3 drives unless the drives have downshift mode to operate at SATA 1 specs. Older mechanical drives have a jumper to do this, newer ones usually don't and SSDs don't. Though sometimes SSDs have firmware configuration utilities which can switch the link speeds, but you have to do this on a computer that can read the drive.
    That sounds like an implementation issue with the SATA controller firmware or even hardware . The spec for SATA is that newer generations are backwards compatible with older.

On a tangent, I've also recently encountered a HW generation problem with PCI Express. I got a Radeon RX 570 (PCIe Gen 3) and it wouldn't post on an Intel DQ67SW (PCIe Gen 2) board without a motherboard BIOS update.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The VIA 8237 is a known garbage controller. Recent versions of Linux don't even support it--the last version of Debian that did, I think was Etch. OpenBSD still does, but the VIA chipset was so buggy that support was just plain dropped in Linux.
    Most VIA stuff is of poor quality and garbage, they made it to be cheap, not functional.

Remember the drive corruption scandal where using a SB Live! card on a motherboard with a VIA chipset could cause data corruption?

Quote Originally Posted by dexvx View Post
    That sounds like an implementation issue with the SATA controller firmware or even hardware . The spec for SATA is that newer generations are backwards compatible with older.
    Something changed in the SATA spec that threw SATA I controllers off, the 8237 wasn't the only one that had issues, the NForce 2 also had issues, as well as various Silicom controllers that board manufacturers used to get extra SATA ports.

Quote Originally Posted by dexvx View Post
    On a tangent, I've also recently encountered a HW generation problem with PCI Express. I got a Radeon RX 570 (PCIe Gen 3) and it wouldn't post on an Intel DQ67SW (PCIe Gen 2) board without a motherboard BIOS update.
    Like with SATA, PCIe had implementation issues as well. PCIe 1.0 has numerous problems addressing newer cards that can cause havoc. I've only ever seen the PCIe 2.0 compatibility issues on Dell motherboards because they have a broken PCIe implementation.