Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IDE hard drive on an IBM PC Convertible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Sigh. Now I wish I had an IBM Convertible to play with.
    If it would mean that we'd get some sort of mass storage for the portable, and assuming shipping would not be a quarter million dollars, then I'd be willing ship you one.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    If it would mean that we'd get some sort of mass storage for the portable, and assuming shipping would not be a quarter million dollars, then I'd be willing ship you one.
    If your location is accurate then shipping might not actually be a thing, if you have a suitably dog-eared spare that you wouldn't mind if I screwed up. ;P

I wonder how hard it'd be to find/improvise that matching connector for the expansion port. If that's a two-layer circuit board the photos might be clear enough to at least make an educated guess how it's decoded.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

A general CF/SD based solution for replacing XTA drive would be welcomed by me. To rise the level of difficulty, it must be possible to be used even without additional ROM. (See Olivetti Quaderno)

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    I took some pictures of the device.
    By any chance are there any part numbers molded into the bus connector? It's a long shot but it would be interesting to know if it's possibly something that could be found off the shelf. It looks like it has a pitch about the same as a PCI slot?

I wasted a fair bit of time with the ol’ googlemachine yesterday and came up utterly blank trying to find a matching connector to the jack on the back of the Convertible. Granted without knowing a part number or any kind of specific name for that connector I could totally be missing something obvious. (An annoying complication is any search for a 72 pin connector gets derailed into an overwhelming number of hits for the connector inside NES consoles.) Kinda wondering if you could improvise a connector using an 80 position SCA SCSI female connector, but I only have photos to go on so I’m just guessing.

From B-16 of the technical reference, the system I/O channel connector is a Burndy FT72A-3.

Alas the only Google hits for that are either the Convertible manual or completely unrelated things, but maybe it might show up in some supplier catalog. That company, Burndy, doesnt look like they make that kind of product anymore, at least at first glance. (They list things like terminal blocks and fuse bus bars.)

Blog Entries

Anyone got an accurate photo? Maybe I can help.

There’s a couple photos of the board fitted with the needed connector on the first page of this thread. It looks basically like a cross between a half pitch centronics connector with the contacts broken into two groups of 36 and a PCI slot with a D-shaped shroud.

Blog Entries

That doesn't really help, as it looks like a regular "split" edge connector and doesn't describe what's on the Convertible itself. Pitch is also a bit difficult to determine.