Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 Whistling Sound

Ok it turns out it wasn't the power supply or the motherboard, it's the floppy controller card! Something on that card must be bad. What's the best place to find a replacement?

If it's the one with the card edge connector for the floppy ribbon cable on the card I probably have one.

PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Yes its that one. I think its an original that came with the system and not a 3rd party

Reasonable offer and it's yours.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Ok my friends helped me do a lot more research and testing on this. Turns out that it really is the power supply. We tested the voltage draw and it's pulling around 60W when fully loaded which is just under the 63.5W rating of the power supply. We guess that the old power supply is having trouble providing enough voltage until something (probably a cap) warms up. The reason we thought it was the disk controller card is that the card draws 5W or so on its own. Without the card the power draw is 55W which doesn't make the speaker whistle. Add the disk card back in and it goes up to 60W which is enough to start the whistle. We also tested my system with an XT power supply and there was no whistle, even with everything plugged in.

So it looks like I need to get a new power supply, preferably one from an XT as my setup is really pushing the 5150 power supply even if it was working 100%

Blog Entries

Are you using a hard drive in it? Back in the day, a hard drive was almost a requirement for a beefier power supply--but then hard drives drew more current back then.

No, just the XT IDE. In my system I have:

1. ATI EGA Wonder
    2. Floppy controller
    3. XT IDE
    4. A Six Pack memory card clone of some sort
    5. Suncom joystick card

Sounds like something might be using too much power. It could be helpful to verify how much power each of the individual components (as well as the motherboard) is using. There might be an issue lurking in one of them.

I'd also expect that configuration to work OK. Electrolytic capacitors can fail in such a way that they consume lots of power, but those will usually get very obviously hot during operation. Are any components in this machine getting excessively hot?

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    No, just the XT IDE. In my system I have:

1. ATI EGA Wonder
    2. Floppy controller
    3. XT IDE
    4. A Six Pack memory card clone of some sort
    5. Suncom joystick card
    Might be your 63W PSU is just old and frail, A good 5150 PSU shouldn't have a problem with those cards fitted, barring any problems with the cards, My 5150 has XT-IDE , VGA, AST Six pack. Original floppy controller and 2 x FH 5.25 floppy drives, Originally it had a plus card in it for years but i took it out because it had gotten too noisy and fitted the XT-IDE, The original 63W PSU in mine died a few months ago but haven't got around to fixing it yet, I have a spare 5160 PSU in there at the mo. Modem7 did some power measurements on the 5150 http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/misc/5150_power.htm