Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wts: Dec vt05

Default Wts: Dec vt05

For sale, DEC VT05 Terminal. Does not power on. I've only had a little while and haven't had time to work on it. All the boards seems to be there but it doesn't power on. Several keys missing. Please let me know if you're interested. I'm located in Toronto, Ontario.

8accb976-4c82-49cb-b8c5-eea82680bb9e_fullsize.jpg 7317ed85-5e65-4886-b773-363742a77c76_fullsize.jpg

Correction. I got the unit to power on.

I'm interested in a dump of the character generator ROM, but it seems crazy to ship something so big and heavy just for that, and I wouldn't ask for just the chip or the board it's on because it would be a shame for this terminal to lose more parts than it has already.

Unfortunately it's not straightforward to dump the ROM because from what I've read it uses unusual signalling (+10V = logic 0, +2V = logic 1).

I need the case, keyboard, and monitor to connect to a VT8E.
    Unfortunately its probably too valuable for my budget.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Hi,

Your private mailbox is full, so I'll post my reply here...

Congratulations on getting it to power up! The price is out of my budget (but, fair if the machine is close to working) so I have to pass and wait for a more dilapidated VT-05. Alas!

The background: I'm thinking of making a replica of the VT-05 case, to accompany the PiDP-8 and PiDP-11 projects I did earlier.

If you ever come across an irrepairable budget VT-05 (fat chance, I know) please let me know.

Kind regards,

Oscar.
    My Vintage Computers & Homebrewing collection: http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence
    My Retrocomputing blog: http://obsolescenceguaranteed.blogspot.ch/

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'm thinking of making a replica of the VT-05 case, to accompany the PiDP-8 and PiDP-11 projects I did earlier.
    Just what I need. I could install a composite monitor and a parallel keyboard and connect it to my VT8E.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

>>> I'm thinking of making a replica of the VT-05 case

Sign me up Oscar, I want one (or two, or three) !

Dave

I'm thinking of making a replica of the VT-05 case
    Not been on the forum for a while. I come back and see this. Sign me up too!

Now panicking about what other stuff I've missed

Cheers,
    Dave

Blog Entries

I'm thinking of making a replica of the VT-05 case, to accompany the PiDP-8 and PiDP-11 projects I did earlier.
    After reading an article on Hackaday in the last day or so about photogrammetry, I downloaded an open source app to do this and loaded into it all the most common pictures I could find of a VT05. I used Regard3D because it does not need NVidia/CUDA, as the one in the Hackaday article requires.
    Sadly it required the camera's model and focal length so it failed with random VT05 images. However... if someone with a VT05 could set it on a walkaround table and take a lot of photos (including the back) I think it ought be computable into a point cloud and mesh. It may help to have marks, squiggles and lines temporarily drawn on its curved surfaces and edges with a dry-erase whiteboard marker so the software can match the images. Or, stretch a layer of food cling-wrap film over it and use a permanent marker on that.
    I think the result would be a scalable mesh model that could be quite useful for this sort of project.

Hi Oscar,

So far I've managed to get a cursor on the screen that moves when I type. I can also move it around with the arrow keys.