Image Map Image Map

Thread: Snagged an Altair 680 Case

Blog Entries

Default Snagged an Altair 680 Case

I now have the case and an unbuilt 680 board.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Altair-680-C...72.m2749.l2648

It was put up last night with Make an Offer. I made an offer but vintagecomputermuseum immediately put a bid on it, ending the MAO option. The seller msged me and said he was still entertaining offers - I said $200ish based on the last one, which vintagecomputermuseum has, going for $250, and he relisted. I don't know which is better, getting a case to go with my board, or beating vcm at their own game. I've lost count of the number of times vcm has swiped stuff from under me by cutting deals with sellers like that.

The front panel board is probably never going to happen, but I have the artwork for that and can fabricate one if need be. The tricky part will be finding period correct switches and LEDs.

Kind of excited about having the opportunity to build a 'new' 680. And my first Altair!

Nice work, on both counts .

Dave

So *you're* the so-and-so that got the item ended early!

I've about got the final version of the Altair 680 RAM board squared away, but after that I'm looking at doing a new motherboard and front panel. So, you'll probably be able to get *some* sort of front panel in the near future, though if I'm going to lay out a new one it's not going to have the design flaws that the original has.

Blog Entries

Haha yup. I made an offer within minutes of the first listing and was negotiating when vintagecomputermuseum put in the first bid. Once that happened I was all about making sure it didn't get into his hands. Apparently the seller was getting offers in the $150 range even after the formal auction started and was getting ready to take the highest, and then asked me for an offer.