Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New toys

Blog Entries

Default New toys

Going to need a bigger garage !

Just got permission to grab a MicroVAX 3100 and a VAXstation 4000-60 from work that I found in a locked room deep in the plant

Just wish I had got the old computer bug before the pdp 11/73 was smashed up in the skip (though the 11/750 would probably been a bit too much)

I've still got 73s down here that may be on the disposals list shortly...

Send me a mail at work...

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post

Dave
    , will do

Nifty What model is the MicroVAX? Those can be fun to play around with, though I heartily recommend enabling Telnet on whatever OS you end up running on it (mine's got NetBSD something-something at present) so you can avoid having to use the console port for anything more than initial boot; 9600 bps is usable for basic command-line stuff, but even text-heavy console applications starts to feel kinda sluggish (to say nothing of curses-based stuff.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Nifty What model is the MicroVAX? Those can be fun to play around with, though I heartily recommend enabling Telnet on whatever OS you end up running on it (mine's got NetBSD something-something at present) so you can avoid having to use the console port for anything more than initial boot; 9600 bps is usable for basic command-line stuff, but even text-heavy console applications starts to feel kinda sluggish (to say nothing of curses-based stuff.)
    Its a microVAX-3100 model 20 with a TZ30. the VAX 4000 is a model 60

Probably want to use a VT340 emulation, As I recall they were serial and plugged into a DECNET terminal server. Wonder if the emulator could skip the serial bit and work off of ethernet direct. What am I saying, of course it can, I use WRQ Reflections VT emulator every day at work ! lol. I would have to connect via the thin ethernet and ensure its running TCP/IP which Im sure it will as the system was setup to use this in the early 90's

Been many a year since i have had anything to do with LAT or DECNET or VMS, not sure what it will boot up into though I think it has VMS on it.
    Last edited by Gary C; April 8th, 2019 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries

I've probably got a 10base2 card around somewhere; pretty sure it would be ISA. Are you in US or UK?

Blog Entries

Uk, but I have found one for 10 with free shipping

Blog Entries

Good news - it would probably cost at least that to ship it from here.

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post

Dave
    Wish I was on that side of the big pond... On the other hand I just bought a nice 11/53 so I should be satisfied for a while, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post
    Wish I was on that side of the big pond... On the other hand I just bought a nice 11/53 so I should be satisfied for a while, right?
    Is a collector ever satisifed ?