Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq DeskPro Model 1 Display issues

Default Compaq DeskPro Model 1 Display issues

I think I have an original DeskPro. There is no other model numbers on the backside. It is a 8086 machine (XT)
    Anyway. It works, mostly. I can not get a clean display. I only have a IBM 5153, and a 5151 monitors to test. I get nothing from the 5151.
    But with the 5153 I get garbage across the top of the screen. I pulled out the compaq video card and put in a working EGA card. After the machine boots, there is text displayed, but is scrolling up the screen to fast to read. When I adjust the monitors scroll, I can slow it down enough to just read that it has booted to c:\
    Did these have a propriety monitor way back when? The name is pretty generic, so I get a lot of not useful google results. Perhaps I need to change some of the switches on the MB but I need a manual for that.
    Suggestions, ideas?
    Thanks
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

There is a good chance this was connected to a Compaq dual mode monitor, capable of a hi-res text display. If you don't have the Compaq monitor, you need to change the DIP switch settings on the motherboard. Look for the RGB monitor setting, probably marked on a sticker inside the case: https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/compaq.html

Nervermind.
    If I had just looked closer to the sticker over the floppy drive cage, it shows what the MB switches are for. (headbutt!!)
    They were set for a Compaq monitor. Changed them and all is good now.
    A working DeskPro Model 3 (2 floppies, 1 x 10Mb HD) Back to life!!
    Atari Falcon030, Atari MSTE, Atari PS3000, STACY 4, 4160STE-CosmosEX, Atari PC1, 400/800/1200XL,800XL,800XE,130XE, XEGS, Apple IIGS, TRS-80 4P, TI 99/4A, Co-Co 3, Amiga 500, C64/128D

Glad to hear it! The original DeskPro with a NEC V-30 upgrade is a surprisingly zippy system. One of my favorites/

Quote Originally Posted by resman View Post
    Glad to hear it! The original DeskPro with a NEC V-30 upgrade is a surprisingly zippy system. One of my favorites/
    That sounds interesting. Was it a simple drop in replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That sounds interesting. Was it a simple drop in replacement?
    Yes. I found a couple on ePay for a reasonable amount a little over a year ago. An XTIDE is also a nice addition - those old hard drives were really slow. With both, it has become my 8086 development machine of choice: it allows one to contemplate code changes during a recompile without being excruciating slow. And it looks cool.

Thanks,
    This one still has the gray/gold ceramic CPU, & Memory in it.
    The HD is very quiet, and works great. Didn't even need to LLF it. Though, yes, it is a bit slow. The FD's worked perfectly, but I did a quick clean and lub first. The original PSU fan has little dirt on the fins. This looks like a low mileage unit.
    But this is a heavy PC. Lift with legs only!
    The V20, and XTIDE are great upgrades. Highly recommended. I've done that on a couple other units. Careful on what CF card you get. They are all not the same.

Hey, show the baby! (And I love the first items of your signature list!)

Quote Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
    Thanks,
    The V20, and XTIDE are great upgrades. Highly recommended. I've done that on a couple other units. Careful on what CF card you get. They are all not the same.
    Make sure you look for a V30 (16 bit version of V20). Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-UPD7011...kAAOSwImRYD2US

I use a DOM in one XTIDE and a modern-ish spinning HD in another. The DOM is definitely fast, but much software loaded on the HD. The downside to the large HD is the long disk scan on first access with big partitions (Compaq MS-DOS 5.0).

And hopefully you have a matching Compaq keyboard to go with the ensemble. The original keyboard thankfully didn't use the horrible foam pads, ala the Compaq Portable. The later model Compaq Enhanced keyboard will work fine with the original Deskpro if you have the correct cable (large DIN) and still look proper.

Quote Originally Posted by resman View Post
    Make sure you look for a V30 (16 bit version of V20). Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-UPD7011...kAAOSwImRYD2US

I use a DOM in one XTIDE and a modern-ish spinning HD in another. The DOM is definitely fast, but much software loaded on the HD. The downside to the large HD is the long disk scan on first access with big partitions (Compaq MS-DOS 5.0).

And hopefully you have a matching Compaq keyboard to go with the ensemble. The original keyboard thankfully didn't use the horrible foam pads, ala the Compaq Portable. The later model Compaq Enhanced keyboard will work fine with the original Deskpro if you have the correct cable (large DIN) and still look proper.
    I recently scored a Compaq Enhanced keyboard that came with a bad cable. I works fine with the cord I borrowed from my Model M XT keyboard plugged into the Deskpro 286, which also takes the original Deskpro keyboard was well.