Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No-Gotek for me today

Default No-Gotek for me today

I'm not sure what it is, but this damn Tandy 1000 project has been more trouble than its worth. Recalcitrant thing, it fights me at every conceivable opportunity.

Today's battle is with the flashfloppy Gotek firmware. I can't get the ST Flasher software (Win 7 64bit host) to talk over the serial link to the Gotek. Tried various different configs but nothing works, host can't see the target.

Am I missing something obvious here? The serial cable is a $1.50 generic unit with a black USB connector.
    Auf wiedersehen, schweinhund!

How about jumper settings on the gotek? I'm also assuming your serial cable has the correct voltage out.
    Dwight

The jumpers are set as-received, with the exception of the programming jumper which is added along with the header. So that jumper is in place as per the guide video.

The cable outputs +5V DC on red, gnd on black. Tx/Rx are on white and green, I don't recall which is which but both were tried extensively.

On one attempt, they briefly talked @ 2400 baud. But that was just brief then never again. Don't know what to make of it. I'm calling it an artifact.

Blog Entries

Follow the instructions here

I've done it at least three times and it works.

On STM32 Cortex MCUs I usually use the STLINK programmer, but the Gotek doesn't bring those leads out to pads.

I recall there is a minimum speed that it may not work below. Without looking it up, you might want to try a faster baud rate. At the high end, I've had a few Blue Pills that weren't reliable at 11500 baud rate but loaded fine a 56K baud. Until changed by software, to the crystal oscillator, they run on a ~8MHz RC oscillator that may be susceptible to power supply noise. As Chuck mentioned, this is not with a STLINK, it is with what is called a 3.3/5V RS232 serial, for the Gotek.
    Dwight

Dwight,

I've tried various speed settings but none worked, save the single, brief attempt at 2400. Otherwise, all failed equally.

I like the loopback test idea, thanks for the reminder.. it hadn't crossed my mind. We'll give that a go

Blog Entries

One peculiarity with the STM32F1xx loader is that it seems to insist on even parity.

I've even communicated with the Gotek using a terminal emulator, but that involves a lot of control characters.

Ok, loopback confirms function of the adapter cable and integrity of the serial line.

Btw, I actually have two of these Gotek units, and both are equally unresponsive. WTF is wrong, here?!

Blog Entries

I can't say without seeing your setup. I have two of differing vintages and both work fine with download. I"m getting ready to update one with a OLED display, so I'll revisit this one whenever the OLEDs show up.

I have to goof with the reset pins on mine for a while before it will flash. Eventually it does connect, but it's a pain.